Chemical Forums

General Forums => Generic Discussion => Topic started by: bm_8300 on December 24, 2016, 01:30:02 PM

Title: triethylamine fumes?
Post by: bm_8300 on December 24, 2016, 01:30:02 PM
Hi, I wonder if someone knows how to get triethylamine fumes out of items that are not washable, like furniture. In my lab, we work with amines and usually do not use the fume hood when we weigh them out. I noticed that some fumes ended up on my jeans and then got transferred to some lab chairs. They have oxidized and have a salty taste. When I touch the contaminated chair, I can for some reason taste a salty taste on my tongue.
And is there a way to make those fumes/residues non toxic?
Title: Re: triethylamine fumes?
Post by: Nobby on December 24, 2016, 11:56:55 PM
This is not a way how to work with  chemicals.
If you have to weight them then the balance also has to be under a hood. Everyting else is not acceptable. I am also wondering how much chemical you get on your clothes and that you try to taste them. Some of them are cacernogen, your live probably will be short.
And be honest jeans are not the right cloth to wear in a lab. For this you can have working cloth made by special material and also a lab coat is a must. Probably safety shoes and a must to wear goggles.

The furneture maybe can be washed with diulted acetic acid or thrown directly to the waste.
Title: Re: triethylamine fumes?
Post by: Arkcon on December 25, 2016, 02:01:05 AM
I really can't add more to what Nobby: has said.  If the hood sashes a part of the way opened, in time your lab will vent outside.  That's not absolutely environmentally legal to dispose of reagents that way, but it is allowed for fumes in the lab.  Beyond that, follow the advice Nobby: gave.