April 25, 2024, 04:13:07 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: De-toxifying nasty pipe gunge  (Read 5907 times)

Limpet Chicken

De-toxifying nasty pipe gunge
« on: September 08, 2004, 12:21:13 AM »
Hey guys.

I smoke a pipe, its a short hash pipe design (USUALLY used for smoking tobacco)
with a design that doesn't suit using a pipe-cleaner, after some use it gets clogged with some really nasty black gunge, and I have to heat the metal stem in a flame with the mouthpiece removed.

A thin black oil drips out along with a load of nasty smelling smoke, this oil is quite viciously toxic, I have gotten it on my hands and felt sick and dizzy, tingling hands etc. before, similar to poisoning symptoms from an OD of nicotine gum once in school.

I have been thinking over the best ways to de-toxify the crap that comes out of my pipe, because it all goes into an old bottle awaiting disposal, I don't have access much to my lab at the moment, but I have a couple of options.

1:treatment with airfloat charcoal.
2: treatment with an oxidiser solution.

As I don't have lab access, I only have a few chemicals lying around, LiMnO4, ammonium nitrate and red P are all I have lying around in my room.

Out of the LiMnO4, airfloat carbon and ammonium nitrate, what would work best to destroy the toxicity of the revolting substance from my pipe?

(Oh yeah, and the stuff smells awful too)

Thanks.

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re:De-toxifying nasty pipe gunge
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2004, 01:28:31 AM »
Use gloves and keep it in the bottle is the best way to handle it. Also massively diluting it in water is also a good idea.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +59/-18
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2004, 12:52:56 AM »
If it's not soluble in water, diluting it with water won't do much.  Personally, I'd use full concentration bleach to destroy it by oxidation.  If that doesn't work, use hot concentrated bleach. :)  Beware: you might get chlorine gas or small fires with this method.

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +49/-27
  • Vote Limpet for supreme emperor of the new order
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2006, 02:29:07 PM »
Meh, this thread is ancient, I found the perfect way to clean the fucker though, burn the everloving bejesus out of it with NaOMe, then wash with MEK, cleaned it from solid inside with hash resin, to so new I could actually sell it on (not that I want to, I collect pipes and bongs ;D
The light blinds
So behold darkness as our new light
In our darkness we can see
So with others blindness
We take flight.

Pelle

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2006, 03:55:20 PM »
Did you try oxidizing it and cleaning with acetone? (Just interested in if that might work)

Sponsored Links