April 25, 2024, 08:19:14 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: sodium chloride replacing sodium hydroxide?  (Read 23398 times)

Offline Rookie

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
sodium chloride replacing sodium hydroxide?
« on: September 06, 2006, 06:41:27 PM »
I did a lab today in which I had to float an egg in a solution of water and sodium chloride. Then the teacher asked how valid is the assumption that aqueous sodium chloride is an adequate replacement for aqueous sodium hydroxide in this experiment? and to explain my reasoning. The way I thought about it is that both Chloride and hydroxide have a negative charge and obviously sodium has a positive, therefore since both of the elements cancel each other out, then that's enough reason to assume that aqueous sodium chloride is a good replacement of sodium hydroxide .., I somehow think that i am wrong though...  :(

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re: sodium chloride replacing sodium hydroxide?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 07:05:05 PM »
It has nothing to do with the charges.

The floatation of the egg depends on the desnity of liquid medium. Adding salt increases the density of water, and thus the buoyancy force. The buoyancy force is equal in magnitude of the weight of the liquid medium displaced.

The same mass of NaCl must be added in order for NaCl to be a good replacement of the NaOH. This will ensure that the liquid medium will have the same density, regardless the salt added was NaOH or NaCl.

If you must consider the chemical properties, the replacement salt should be inert.
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 02:41:52 AM »
The same mass of NaCl must be added in order for NaCl to be a good replacement of the NaOH. This will ensure that the liquid medium will have the same density, regardless the salt added was NaOH or NaCl.

No such dependence Geo.

1M NaCl has a density of 1.0386, 1M NaOH 1.0425.

5% NaCl has a density of 1.0340, 5% NaOH 1.0554.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2006, 02:47:27 AM »
So what was the result of the experiment???
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2006, 06:27:49 AM »
This will ensure that the liquid medium will have the same density, regardless the salt added was NaOH or NaCl.

NaOH is a salt?
AWK

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2006, 07:09:50 AM »
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Retired Staff
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2006, 12:38:04 PM »
No such dependence Geo.

I am talking in terms of grams, not moles.

Imagine adding 200g of NaCl or NaOH to 1L of water. Either salt produces the same density.

A salt is formed when the hydrogen ion of an acid is being replaced by a metal cation. Water can act as an acid, so why can't NaOH be considered as a salt?
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2006, 12:44:18 PM »
No such dependence Geo.

I am talking in terms of grams, not moles.

Imagine adding 200g of NaCl or NaOH to 1L of water. Either salt produces the same density.

Take a look at the second line of the data.

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Retired Staff
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2006, 12:51:23 PM »

I assumed that the volume of the mixture remains constant. It is a fair assumption, which was validated by your data. The discrepancy is merely 2%

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2006, 01:18:22 PM »
I assumed that the volume of the mixture remains constant. It is a fair assumption, which was validated by your data. The discrepancy is merely 2%

It is wrong assumption, INvalidated by the data.

For 20% solutiuons (which you have suggested) discrepancy is much higher:

20% NaCl 1.1478
20% NaOH 1.2219

Note that you are doing two mistakes at the same time. First one is assumption that volume remains constant, second is the way you are calculating difference in densities. You should not look at the difference in densities as initial density (identical in both cases) dominates and flattens the result. You should look at difference in density changes - and then you will see that it is huge.

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Retired Staff
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2006, 02:22:53 PM »
Hence, in order to answer the threadstarter's question, the threadstarter must take in account of volume changes, which is not necessary negligible if the salt concentration is high. Moreover, different salt produces different change in the liquid volume.

Sponsored Links