Chemistry Forums for Students > Inorganic Chemistry Forum

Good Inorganic Chemistry Textbooks

(1/7) > >>

cammi:
Hi,

Can anyone suggest a good inorganic chemistry textbook. I am looking for a good basic / foundation textbook for inorganic chemistry.  Something like the "demystified" or "made simple" series, but, of course, covering more topics in detail.

I don't care if the textbook treats me like I don't have a brain. I just want to get through this course with a decent grade. I need inorganic chem broken down in steps to understand, but I can get it.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Cammi
 ???

Borek:
Are you sure you need inorganic chemistry, and not some general chemistry book? You asked about predicting reaction outcome - while some inorganic knowledge won't hurt, it must be placed on the solid GC base; without it it will simply not work.

Dan:
What course are you doing? It's difficult to recommend anything without knowing exactly what level you are at.

Inorganic Chemistry by Shriver & Atkins is a good starting point. It was useful for the first 1 1/2 years of my chemistry degree course. It brushes over quite alot of stuff, and goes into detail on a few things, eg. it is very good for getting to grips with crystal field theory and ligand field theory. It's generally well written, especially the more in depth chapters, and has lots of nice diagrams and a CD ROM, although I've never given it a spin myself.

Only downside is that if it's not in your library, it's pretty expensive.

enahs:
I could recommend books not to get, unfortunately I have yet to find what I would consider a decent inorganic chemistry book.

cammi:
Hi everyone,

Many thanks for the replies.  I heard about the Atkins book on Inorganic Chemistry.  C. Housecroft's book was recommended as well.

Has anyone any thoughts on Housecroft's "Inorganic Chemistry"?

Cammi
 :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version