April 26, 2024, 06:19:34 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: What is the mass percent perchloric acid in this solution?  (Read 9397 times)

Offline willor

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
What is the mass percent perchloric acid in this solution?
« on: October 28, 2006, 01:53:02 AM »
Hi everyone, before I get into my question just want to say what a great resource this site is, has helped me in so many ways with my study of chemistry, so thank you all for taking the time to answer questions here.

About my problem: I have a question involving molarity, the question is "A concentrated solution of perchloric acid, HClO4, is 11.7 M and has a density of 1.67 g/mL. What is the mass percent perchloric acid in this solution?"

The way I solved it was to say that the percent composition = X g HClO4/100 g HClO4 = 11.7 mol HClO4 / 1.00 L Soln X (1000mL soln/1 L soln) X (1.67g soln/1 mL soln) X (1 mol HClO4/ 100.46g HClO4) = 70.4% HClO4 by mass.

So I got the correct answer by treating it like an algebra equation where I'd normally be solving for the molarity of the solution and just rearranged it to equal the percent composition.

My question is if there is a more efficient way to solve this problem? I ask because I wasn't really sure of the basis behind my method of solving it other then it makes sense from an algebraic perspective to me. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks alot.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 03:50:05 AM by Mitch »

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Most efficient way to solve this molarity problem?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 03:34:30 AM »
Final answer is OK, although I don't get this one:

percent composition = X g HClO4/100 g HClO4

Should be per 100g of solution, not pure acid.

As for the more efficient way - I am not aware of one. See percentage to molarity conversion example.To speed up calculations you may use concentration cheat sheet.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 03:59:13 PM »
Quote from: Borek
The concentration cheat sheet can be printed on any good b&w printer - I have tested it on almost 10 years old LaserJet 5L and the results were perfect.

LOL..
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 04:18:31 PM »
Quote from: Borek
The concentration cheat sheet can be printed on any good b&w printer - I have tested it on almost 10 years old LaserJet 5L and the results were perfect.

LOL..

What's so funny? Fact that I am not seeing the reason to buy a new printer as long as the old one works OK? ;)
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links