April 26, 2024, 05:48:20 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Strontium from Nitrate?  (Read 8971 times)

budullewraagh

Strontium from Nitrate?
« on: October 20, 2004, 09:14:39 PM »
im trying to obtain strontium metal from the nitrate salt.  i was thinking of making a solution of the salt and adding pure magnesium metal to reduce the strontium.

two questions:
-would this work?
-would the strontium dissolve?

if it doesnt work, do you have any other ideas?

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
Re:Strontium from Nitrate?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004, 09:54:11 PM »
No.  It will not work.  Strontium reacts with water at approximately the same level as lithium/sodium.  In an aqueous solution, you will not be able to isolate the metal.  Also, magnesium will not reduce the Sr2+ ion back to the metal as it is not nearly reactive enough.  Reactivity, in terms of metal displacement, increases as you move down and to the left.  So Sr is much more reactive than Mg.  Strontium can replace magnesium, but not vice-versa.  
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 09:59:01 PM »
Here's the reactivity series that I was able to find;

Li
K
Ba
Sr
Ca
Na
Mg
Al
Mn
Zn
Cr
Fe
Cd
Co
Ni
Sn
Pb
*H
Sb
As
Bi
Cu
Ag
Pd
Hg
Pt
Au
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

budullewraagh

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004, 10:17:27 PM »
you just disproved your theory.  lithium is top left of the alkalis buddy and it has a reduction potential of less than -3, but apparently i was wrong about the reduction potentials of magnesium compared to strontium

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2004, 01:36:33 AM »
It will no work because strontium will react with water. Also, nitrates are the worst choise (oxides or chlorides are the best). Why?
Sometimes you can obtain positve results in contrast to electrochemical series. using magnesium you can obtain sodium or potassium at temperatures, at which they are removed from reaction mixture, ie over their boiling points (see Mitch periodic table, which combination can work). But such a reaction is rather impossible to perform in small lab.
AWK

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2004, 08:57:32 AM »
you just disproved your theory.  lithium is top left of the alkalis buddy and it has a reduction potential of less than -3, but apparently i was wrong about the reduction potentials of magnesium compared to strontium

there are exceptions to every theory in the chemical world.   ;D  For numerous different reasons, the alkali metals tend to fall into a different order than expected.  The theory came from a chemistry textbook which says that the approximation can be used to determine "reactivity".  Similar oddities to electron shell theories exist for the transition metals.  (I.E. some of the transition metals fill in their electron shells in a way that goes against the main theories.  Also, some transition metals also seem out of place by their atomic mass).

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2004, 04:13:40 AM »
This is not exception. The law of mass action should be always fulfilled
AWK

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2004, 04:54:46 PM »
This is not exception. The law of mass action should be always fulfilled

Well then, I guess Nickel doesn't really exist.   ;) ;D

Sponsored Links