March 28, 2024, 05:00:58 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: h2o2 extraction  (Read 4796 times)

budullewraagh

h2o2 extraction
« on: October 23, 2004, 01:04:54 PM »
i have a nice large bottle of 40% hydrogen peroxide.  unfortunately it is white and viscous.  the other ingredients (aside from water and hydrogen peroxide) are: cetaryl alcohol, cetareth-20, stearic acid, cetyl alcohol and phosphoric acid.  i froze the solution and the hydrogen peroxide didn't come out.  that's not cool at all.  it was just a white solid.  how can i extract the peroxide?

Offline eugenedakin

• Oilfield Consulting Chemist
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +88/-2
  • My desk agrees with the law of entropy
    • Personal Website
Re:h2o2 extraction
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 01:44:35 AM »
Hello budullewraagh,

Hmmm...very interesting.  Does the bottle actually say 'hydrogen peroxide 40%'?  Although it is possible, I am quite pessimistic.  When I have attempted to stabilize hydrogen peroxide, I quickly realized that this was very very difficult.

Could you tell me what the product is that has this label on it?  I would really like to see if someone has actually stabilized hydrogen peroxide.

Here is some previous information about peroxide:  Industrial peroxide is available in 50% and 30% strengths.  50% hydrogen peroxide is packaged with ultra-pure water (Total dissolved solids less than 0.1 ppm).  Any TDS above this greatly increases the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide to water and oxygen.  According to this label, many other chemicals have been added.  Theoretically, hydrogen peroxide should have degraded to water and oxygen.  

Did the bottle appear bloated (like it was under pressure)?

I look forward to your response,

Eugene
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 04:29:46 PM by eugenedakin »
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those that do not.

Sponsored Links