April 26, 2024, 09:23:17 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: solubility & earth metals question  (Read 9058 times)

Offline Smiles

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-1
solubility & earth metals question
« on: November 29, 2006, 02:19:35 AM »
Question about this question:
As you have seen, lead can form the same kinds of compounds as the alkaline earth metals. Nevertheless, the solubilties may differ markedly. Give a convincing reason.

I'm not sure how to anwser this question? These are the compound of the experiement Mg(no3)2, Ca(No3)2, Sr(No3)2, Ba(no3)2, and Pb(No3)2 and we reacted each one with all of these NaOH, NaCl, NaBr, NaI, Na2C03, and Na2C204. Now lead formed a precipt with all off those compounds but most of the other compounds did not so whats the reason?

Offline Smiles

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Re: solubility & earth metals question
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 12:21:39 PM »
*Ignore me, I am impatient* anyone know?

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 03:18:29 PM »
Firstly, bumping is naughty.

Secondly, read the forum rules, you must at least attempt the question.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline DevaDevil

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +55/-9
  • postdoc at ANL
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 05:17:18 PM »
Look at the position of Pb in the periodic table and the postion of the Alkali Earth metals.

Alkali Earth Metals are in noble-gas configuration when they are doubly charged cations.
Lead however is on the right hand side, and would like to have more electrons to get into that stablest configuration; making the bonds in lead-compounds more covalent -and stronger- in nature.

Insoluble compounds have lattice enthalpies higher than the enthalpy of solvation.

Now since Alkali Earth metals like to be in ionic states; their compounds will dissolve in general more easily than the same compounds with lead, since usually the lattice energy of lead compounds is much higher (In case of insoluble compounds higher than the energy that would be released upon solvation, which thus doesn't occur).

Sponsored Links