March 28, 2024, 02:58:32 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Help naming polypeptides  (Read 18604 times)

Offline xk9x

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Help naming polypeptides
« on: December 12, 2006, 09:37:57 PM »
Hello all.

Today in my Nuc/Org. class we briefly discussed polypeptides at the end of the lecture. My teacher told us to find the name for the tripeptide formed from glycine, phenylalanine, and methionine.

The example in class was of a dipeptide formed from alanine and cysteine. The name of that was alanylcysteine.

So, for the Gly + Phe + Met, would the correct name be glycylphenylalanylmethionine? Is there supposed to be a space in there, or is my name totally incorrect? Thanks everyone.

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
Re: Help naming polypeptides
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 10:08:59 PM »
Looks like a good name to me.  For clarity some people put dashes, (e.g. alanyl-cysteine) but those are optional.

Offline Palmbeach

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 05:09:40 PM »
How long peptides can you give names? I mean just reel aminoacids seems tedious to me, small peptides I would just write the sequence one letter code and thats it!  ;D

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 10:21:07 PM »
I agree with you palmbeach.  I guess IUPAC just has to have a name for everything even if the name is the least efficient way of identifying certain peptides.  Just imagine if NCBI had all of its protein sequences written out as methionylalanyllysylphenylalanylaspartyl...

Sponsored Links