April 25, 2024, 11:44:12 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: NaOH  (Read 6402 times)

Offline nobody_6.1

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
NaOH
« on: December 28, 2006, 02:08:38 AM »
I was wondering if there was a way to manufacture NaOH from Baking soda Inexpensively

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: NaOH
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2006, 02:24:30 AM »
One of industriall method use Na2CO3 obtained form NaHCO3 by heating.
http://www.lca-net.com/files/naoh.pdf
Eventually search enyclopedia of chemical technology for the caustification process

Do not rely on stupid explanation in Wikipedia!
An excerpt fro: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_hydroxide
An older method for sodium hydroxide production was the LeBlanc process, which produced sodium carbonate, followed by roasting to create carbon dioxide and sodium oxide.
AWK

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2006, 04:30:37 AM »
Do not rely on stupid explanation in Wikipedia!
An excerpt fro: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_hydroxide

Instead of criticizing, why don't you edit the entry to make it correct? That's how it works.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline hiphil

• Very New Member
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 10:32:02 AM »
Dissolve baking soda in water, and boil for 15 minutes. This will expell excess carbon dioxide and convert the sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) NAHCO3 to sodium carbonate (washing soda) NA2CO3.
Add calcium hydroxide (Lime) CA(OH)2 to the solution, and continue boiling for about 30 minutes.
Remove from heat, and allow to settle.
The solid residue at he bottom is Calcium carbonate CACO3, while the clear solution at the top is sodium hydroxide NAOH.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 03:15:28 AM »
Dissolve baking soda in water, and boil for 15 minutes. This will expell excess carbon dioxide and convert the sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) NAHCO3 to sodium carbonate (washing soda) NA2CO3.
Add calcium hydroxide (Lime) CA(OH)2 to the solution, and continue boiling for about 30 minutes.
Remove from heat, and allow to settle.
The solid residue at he bottom is Calcium carbonate CACO3, while the clear solution at the top is sodium hydroxide NAOH.
Boiling baking soda is lost of time, moreover 100 C is a temperature to low to decompose NaHCO3 in 15 min.
But this procedure will work because:
2NaHCO3 + Ca(OH)2 = Ca2+ + 2HCO3- + 2Na+ + 2OH-
and during warming, even to temperature lower then 100C
Ca2+ + 2HCO3- =CaCO3(s) + H2O
and, in fact, you will obtain solution of NaOH
When you will use an excess of Ca(OH)2, the solid residue will conain also insoluble Ca(OH)2 - NaOH diminshes solubility of Ca(OH)2
AWK

Offline nobody_6.1

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 09:31:47 PM »
Well, really, I don't have 2 use baking soda. Im just looking 4 a cheap easy way 2 make Sodium Hydroxide using chemicals I already have at home.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2007, 02:27:05 AM »
Calcium hydroxide and baking soda are the cheapest reagents for this purpose
AWK

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2007, 08:11:03 PM »
I have a question. Why make it? It's a pretty easy thing to find, and cheap. If you want to use it as a reagent, then your probably better off just going out and buying it. If you want the thrill of making it for yourself, then by all means do so.
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Sponsored Links