March 29, 2024, 11:10:05 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Molecular bond force  (Read 10133 times)

Offline vhpk

• Mole Snacks: +12/-25
Molecular bond force
« on: January 14, 2007, 12:34:26 AM »
Why does the solubility of hidrocarbon decrease when the number of carbon of the molecular increase
Genius is a long patience

Offline english

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +31/-10
  • grad student
Re: Molecular bond force
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2007, 01:14:24 AM »
Generally it's because C-H bonds are nonpolar, so as you increase the number of C-H bonds water cannot bring the species into solution very well.  Immiscibility results.

General rule (if I can remember correctly) is that alkanes with 4 or less carbons can be solubilized to a certain extent.  From there on up the number of C atoms makes it relatively difficult to bring the alkane into solution.

Use nonpolar solvents for larger alkanes.

Offline vhpk

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2007, 10:13:32 PM »
Explain why doesn't Clorine make hidrogen bond with water? From that, compare the solubility of: HF, HCl, HBr, HI ;D

Offline xiankai

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-37
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 08:10:24 AM »
the water molecule is polar; it has 2 partially positive hydrogen atoms and a partially negative oxygen atom with two lone pairs.

in order to make a hydrogen bond with it, you need a polar molecule, so that the partially positive end can H-bond with the lone pairs on the oxygen, while the partially negative end H-bonds with the hydrogen.

what do you think about chlorine? ;)
one learns best by teaching

Offline vhpk

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 08:27:51 PM »
I've known about the mechanism of H-force, but the thing I concern is that, clorine is a strong un-metal, it only loses F and O, but it can't make H-bond with H2O ???

Offline xiankai

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-37
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2007, 04:46:45 AM »
it has something to do with electronegativity, there's a hint
one learns best by teaching

Offline vhpk

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 11:57:36 PM »
I don't understand your hint very much because I don't understand the word"negativity" but do you mean that the electronegativity of Cl is 3,16 less than Oxygen is 3,44 so it can't make H-bond.
I hope I'm right ;D

Offline english

• Chemist
  • grad student
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2007, 12:12:43 AM »
I don't understand your hint very much because I don't understand the word"negativity" but do you mean that the electronegativity of Cl is 3,16 less than Oxygen is 3,44 so it can't make H-bond.
I hope I'm right ;D

OK.

If you follow the trend in atomic size, you would be able to estimate that Cl is larger than N. 

According to Linus Pauling and his Scale of Electronegativities, Cl and N both have an electronegativity of 3.0.

But Cl cannot form hydrogen bonds?  ???

Well it turns out that the greater polarizability, due to resulting larger size of the Cl atom, means that hydrogen bonding is not as effective with Cl as it is with N.

Polarizability means that the atom's electron cloud is more easily distorted because its valence electrons, or outer electrons, are held more loosely.  Think about what happens when you have a weak magnet, and are trying to use it to pick up a much heavier object.  You have a "loose" force because of a weak magnetic field (I don't know if loose force is a good phrase here, bear with me ;)).  In this case a weak nuclear charge gives a "loose" electron cloud.

For O and F, on the other hand, well they can form hydrogen bonds because they are the two most electronegative elements.

A hydrogen bond is not a full bond, which is weaker than a covalent bond but stronger than a London force (van der Waals forces), . 

H — O - - - - - H — O — H
        |
        H                   

« Last Edit: January 20, 2007, 12:21:29 AM by k.V. »

Offline vhpk

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2007, 09:44:25 PM »
Next question, whether CH3-O-CH3 and aldelhit can make H-bond

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2007, 10:08:29 PM »
To have a hydrogen bond, you must have a hydrogen bond donor and a hydrogen bond acceptor.  A hydrogen bond donor must have a hydrogen bonded to a F, O, or N.  A hydrogen bond acceptor must have a lone pair on a F, O, or N.  So, can dimethyl ether act as a hydrogen bond donor or acceptor?  What about an aldehyde?

Offline vhpk

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2007, 10:40:28 PM »
Well it turns out that the greater polarizability, due to resulting larger size of the Cl atom, means that hydrogen bonding is not as effective with Cl as it is with N.
But when N and Cl made their bond, they are ions, and the radial of N3- is bigger than Cl-, so whether we use the size of atom to explain

Offline english

• Chemist
  • grad student
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2007, 11:11:25 PM »
But when N and Cl made their bond, they are ions, and the radial of N3- is bigger than Cl-, so whether we use the size of atom to explain

When you form an anion, you are filling up degenerate orbitals.  Electrons in the same subshell and energy level do not shield each other very effectively, and thus do not effect the atom's overall nuclear charge, Zeff.  Chlorine still has one more set of core electrons than nitrogen, which shield it's outer electrons effectively, thus reducing the nuclear charge.

Polarizability doesn't necessarily increase with electron gain when you form an anion.

Iodine is the most polarizable natural element, yet its atom only forms an anion with a -1 charge.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2007, 12:46:30 AM by k.V. »

Offline vhpk

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2007, 11:40:41 PM »
Organic acid and alcol, which has stronger H-bond

Offline english

• Chemist
  • grad student
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2007, 01:19:05 AM »
Organic acid and alcol, which has stronger H-bond

You have to be more specific and less confusing.  You mean alcohol?  That is an organic acid.

Offline vhpk

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2007, 11:49:42 PM »
;D, sorry I mean carboxylic acid like :CH3COOH

Sponsored Links