March 29, 2024, 08:32:26 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Synthesis of acetaldehyde  (Read 9161 times)

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +49/-27
  • Vote Limpet for supreme emperor of the new order
Synthesis of acetaldehyde
« on: November 28, 2004, 06:00:23 PM »
What options for the synthesis of aldehydes are available, I have been looking into it of late, and was curious about the synthesis of benzaldehyde of which there are a good few, and of acetaldehyde, for making acetic anhydride.

Are there any ways to add the -CHO group directly onto benzene to produce benzaldehyde? benzaldehyde is watched or controlled for some reason or other pertaining to clandestine synthesis I believe, although what I can't remember, but benzene is quite easily available, I am looking for possible routs from alkenes to the aldehydes, and indeed, aldehyde preperation in general. Preferably those that stand some chance of success in a "ghetto" setup, I.E those not requiring catalytic hydrogenation and such tedious things.
The light blinds
So behold darkness as our new light
In our darkness we can see
So with others blindness
We take flight.

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
Re:Synthesis of acetaldehyde
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2004, 10:46:01 PM »
Every Friday and Saturday night I tend to produce mass quantities of acetaldehyde from ethanol.  It happens right here in me liver.   ;D  Sadly, it gets metabolized immediately into acetic acid.  I'm guessing you could probably reflux concentrated ethanol with concentrated sulfuric acid which may remove a water molecule, thus giving you acetaldehyde.  (Though that's just a guess and I'm not sure if that would work).
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-21
  • Better living through chemistry!
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2004, 01:37:49 PM »
Out of curiosity, how is acetaldehyde used to make acetic anhydride?  It's in the wrong oxidation state.

There are lots of ways to formylate aromatic systems.  Two of the favorites: Gatterman-Koch, Villsmaier-Haack.

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +49/-27
  • Vote Limpet for supreme emperor of the new order
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2004, 02:40:24 PM »
Jdurg, refluxing concentrated H2SO4 will join two molecules of ethanol together by forming a bond between the ethanol and an oxygen molecule, giving diethyl ether.
The light blinds
So behold darkness as our new light
In our darkness we can see
So with others blindness
We take flight.

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2004, 09:18:36 PM »
Jdurg, refluxing concentrated H2SO4 will join two molecules of ethanol together by forming a bond between the ethanol and an oxygen molecule, giving diethyl ether.

Hmm...  I wonder if glacial acetic acid could be dehydrated by concentrated sulfuric acid in a reflux, or if acetone could be "cracked" using sulfuric acid?
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Sponsored Links