April 24, 2024, 04:15:28 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Problem with Osmotic Pressure and Partial Pressure  (Read 9903 times)

Offline pseizure2000

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Problem with Osmotic Pressure and Partial Pressure
« on: February 20, 2007, 05:44:57 AM »
I know how to use the formula for osmotic pressure (MRT), however the way that this problem incorporates partial pressure into it just confuses the sh*t outta me. Please help me, before I cut my wrists.

The partial pressure of O2 in air at sea level is 0.21 atm. The solubility of O2 in water is 1.38 x 10-3 M at 20°C and Poxygen = 1.00 atm. Calculate the molar concentration of O2 in the surface water of a mountain lake saturated with air at 20°C and an atmospheric pressure of 662.8 torr.

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Problem with Osmotic Pressure and Partial Pressure
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 05:49:52 AM »
When the total pressure goes down partial pressures go down as well in exactly the same ratio. So if you start with 1 atm of air and 0.21 atm partial pressure of O2, and then you lower the pressure twice to 0.5 atm total - partial pressure of oxygen goes down to 0.21/2 = 0.105 atm
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline pseizure2000

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 06:36:59 AM »
I think I just realized it's not osmotic pressure but Henry's Law. Yet somehow I still haven't figured out what to do with the 662.8 torr although i think i need to relate it to the partial pressure some way.

Online Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 07:05:04 AM »
You need both. To use Henry's law you need oxygen pressure - and that's what I described in my previous post. Note that the question uses different pressure units, IMHO only to confuse you :)
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links