April 18, 2024, 04:48:52 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Electron Affinity  (Read 10076 times)

Offline kataklysmic

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
Electron Affinity
« on: March 05, 2007, 10:44:36 PM »
would anyone be able to explain the electron affinity trend in the second period to me (Li to F)? i understand the basic concept of large amounts of energy being given off when flourine or oxygen gains an electron as a result of it's high electronegativity, but why does nitrogen have such a low electron affinity compared to carbon? if someone could explain the trend it would help me out so much.

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
Re: Electron Affinity
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 11:06:11 PM »
What's carbon's electron configuration?  What's nitrogen's electron configuration?  Why might adding an electron to carbon be favorable and why might adding an electron to nitrogen be unfavorable?

Offline kataklysmic

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 11:19:47 PM »
i think i understand it now. it has to do with the number of paired electrons in the p orbital of nitrogen.

Offline english

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +31/-10
  • grad student
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 03:23:43 AM »
It actually takes energy to attain a more stable configuration, which is low spin configurations for some atoms, high spin for others.

By high spin I mean number of unpaired electrons is high.

I can't remember what transition elements have high spin configurations.  Can anyone remind me?

I'm thinking of copper for some reason.

Offline Yggdrasil

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +485/-21
  • Physical Biochemist
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 03:54:10 AM »
Electron configurations with completely full shells and half-full shells exhibit an increased stability over other electron configurations.  Therefore, nitrogen (1s22s22p3), which already has a half full 2p shell, will not want to eliminate the stability of a half-full shell by gaining an electron.  Therefore, it has a lower electron affinity than expected by electronegativity alone.  On the other hand, carbon (1s22s22p2) is one electron away from the stability of a half-full shell; therefore, it has extra "incentive" to seek out an extra electron and obtain a half-full 2p shell.  So, carbon exhibits a higher electron affinity than expected by electronegativity alone.  In much the same way, oxygen (1s22s22p4) will want to get rid of an electron in order to obtain a half-full 2p shell, so its ionization potential will be lower than expected.

g english:  High spin/low spin in transition metal complexes is dictated by the ligands as well as in which row the metal sits.  But, what does this have to do with the question?

Offline english

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +31/-10
  • grad student
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 04:00:20 AM »
Ahh I mixed things I meant high/low multiplicity.

Sponsored Links