April 24, 2024, 08:09:20 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Ordering off this supplier  (Read 8121 times)

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +49/-27
  • Vote Limpet for supreme emperor of the new order
Ordering off this supplier
« on: December 08, 2004, 10:25:56 PM »
Has anyone here ordered off www.KNO3.com? it looks like a site mainly directed at pyrotechnics, but the chemicals come decently priced, it seems to be legit from what I have heard, but anyone here actually done buissiness with them?

Thanks.
The light blinds
So behold darkness as our new light
In our darkness we can see
So with others blindness
We take flight.

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
Re:Ordering off this supplier
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2004, 05:59:00 AM »
I will find out how good they are soon actually, I just placed an order via paypal for 100g reagent grade red phosphorus, it should arrive any day, and I will let others here know how good their service was, one good thing, is they ship first class without charging shipping to the UK :)
The light blinds
So with others blindness
We take flight.

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +59/-18
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2004, 09:01:14 PM »
That isn't really a pyro supplier.  It's a bomb/drug making supplier.  His prices are WAY jacked up for doing real pyro.  The KPerc is like $60 for 1 lb... versus the about $5-6 per lb. that it costs at regular pyro suppliers.

In other news, has anyone heard of the CPSC coming down hard on pyro suppliers?  They've filed an injunction against Firefox, and they are trying to crash the whole amatuer scientist, chemist and pyro field.  Sorry, but I don't need to be protected from myself.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2004, 09:02:01 PM by hmx9123 »

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2004, 09:14:15 PM »
I should perhaps have realised that myself, but I am not what you could call a pyro enthusiast, I occasionally use the thermite reaction to prepare metals, or make fireworks for november 5th :) but thats about it.

Actually, I could use a little second opinion, given the obscene prices, I want to know if I got ripped off on my phosphorus, as I paid £19.50 roughly for 100 grams, I'm not too familiar with prices elsewhere, so did I get ripped?:(

Only reason I bought there, is that I have no better source for red P, short of scraping a whole load of matchboxes.

I will be ordering a few things off there though, only because he probably doesn't care who he sells to, only other thing he has and I will buy is iodine, as there is no way I can be bothered distilling 10 liters of iodine tincture for a measly few grams.

I actually would have ordered it at the same time as my P, but I got a touch of the paranoia, what with what those two chemicals in combination are often used to make (not that I would ever do such a thing ;D) since he provides shipping though, it makes no difference, looking back, I don't think they would care about ordering both together, wouldn't be a good thing to have on ones record though :o

I expect my phosphorus should be here tomorrow most likely, as its next day shipping first class post, I suppose at least it will make my project on P allotropy much easier,  as I just didn't have the time to do it scraping matchbooks ;D
« Last Edit: December 10, 2004, 09:16:27 PM by limpet chicken »
The light blinds
So with others blindness
We take flight.

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +59/-18
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2004, 10:36:24 PM »
Well, I can't say that you really got ripped off on the red P, as you pretty much can't buy it anywhere else (without being a business, school, etc.).  There are exceptions to that, and it seems that you've found one.  Iodine you can get through sources other than the tincture (which I'm not going to detail here), but if you want it in sufficient quantity, then you're going to have to order it.

Were you able to order through Aldrich (which is overpriced for pyro but on par for general R&D chemical use), the red P is about the same price, and Fisher sells Iodine for $98.79/100g, so it's probably a good price.  The only other place you'll find stuff like this is E-bay, and you can check those prices yourself.

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2004, 12:12:41 PM »
My phosphorus came today, well, arrived a day or so ago, but I had to send my father to the mail sorting office to pick it up for me as it wouldn't fit through the letterbox of my house ;D

BTW, HMX, what is the CPSC? you mentioned a threat to amateur chemists?
It will be a sad day when people start cracking down on legal amateurs, as so much potential is there for us free thinking people :(
The light blinds
So with others blindness
We take flight.

Sponsored Links