April 24, 2024, 08:41:13 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: I have a question thats driving me crazy pertaining to CO!  (Read 4027 times)

Offline chunkmartinez

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
I have a question thats driving me crazy pertaining to CO!
« on: April 08, 2007, 11:25:12 PM »
I have a question thats driving me crazy! In the case of carbon monoxide, how can the oxygen Tripple bond with the carbon, if the oxygen only has 2 open bonds?

allanf

Re: I have a question thats driving me crazy pertaining to CO!
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 11:59:20 PM »
Bonding actually is more complicated than simple lewis theory.  There are a bunch of other molecules for which the simple lewis model doesn't work.

To get into the specifics requires either a lot of hand-waving, or some quantum mechanics.

Offline chunkmartinez

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 12:09:55 AM »
I think i know what you are saying. Are you refering to the atomic orbitals?(S,p,d), and how energy levels can combine and stuff?

allanf

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 12:21:40 AM »
Yep.  When looking at molecules like carbon monoxide, and even dioxygen, you need to look at how atomic orbitals combine to form molecular orbitals.  Here's a brief intro to it:
(http://www.ch.ic.ac.uk/vchemlib/course/mo_theory/main.html)

Its also a good way to understand things like aromaticity, e.g. the bonding in benzene, and other anomalies of more traditional (lewis style) bonding theory.  I suppose the take-home message is that one has to look at the electron distribution over the whole molecule, bonds are not necessarily all that localized.

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-21
  • Better living through chemistry!
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 01:42:29 AM »
While bonding is clearly more complicated, the easy way to think about why CO has a triple bond is this: It's is far worse to have an atom without a full octet (as you would in CO with only a double bond) than it is to have a third bond from oxygen.

Sponsored Links