March 29, 2024, 11:14:49 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Heat of formation  (Read 8781 times)

lbm_2005

Heat of formation
« on: December 14, 2004, 09:01:45 AM »
Please help...how do you find the heat of formation with the reactants of potasium and oxygen. The quantity of potasium is 50g.

50g
K2+O2->K2O2

K2 -> 123.7 (Gas)

O2-> 0 (gas)

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re:Heat of formation
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2004, 11:38:26 AM »
experimentally or theoretically?
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

lbm_2005

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2004, 01:14:20 PM »
I guess theoretically..i really dont know..but i think that i had balanced my equation wrong and it is supposed to be
2K2+o2->2K2O
i have to find the heat of formation using mole to mole setup!

Mr Amino

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2004, 01:26:45 PM »
Its just delta H (product) - delta H (reactants)

There is no mass involved.

So delta H (K2O2)-123.7= your answer
« Last Edit: December 14, 2004, 01:28:20 PM by Mr Amino »

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2004, 02:25:35 PM »
Should be   K  + (1/2)O2 -----> K2O
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2004, 02:47:30 PM »
Should be   K  + (1/2)O2 -----> K2O

I think it would help if we knew the NAME of the product expected.  If it's potassium oxide, then the formula would be K2O.  If it's potassium peroxide, then it would be K2O2.  If it were potassium superoxide, then it would be KO2.   ;D  So then you would know how it should be properly balanced and what you need to find.  The way you could calculate the heat of formation is to use a bomb calorimeter and perform the experiment.  Then using the proper math you can calculate the heat generated per mass of product formed, and from that you can get the heat generated per mole of product which is the standard heat of formation.  

When attempting to calculate the delta H of formation, mass IS important.  If you react 50 grams of potassium completely, you need to calculate the mass of product that will be formed.  Then you take the mass of the product that is formed and figure out the moles of product.  You can then take the heat measured for that number of moles of product and convert to heat of formation for ONE mole of product.
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Mr Amino

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2004, 10:45:33 PM »
Well if im wrong, this wouldnt be the first time.  :P  However, I still wonder why you need the mass?  You say you react 50g (X moles) of K.  According to mitch's equation, wouldn't you just end up with X/2 moles of K2O if the K reacts completely like you said?  I assume this is all just theoretical and whatnot.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2004, 10:46:52 PM by Mr Amino »

Sponsored Links