April 19, 2024, 11:21:32 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: dioxin poisoning  (Read 6588 times)

Corvettaholic

dioxin poisoning
« on: December 15, 2004, 12:22:24 PM »
Did you guys hear about what happened to the Ukrainian candidate after the election scandal? He's showing major signs of dioxin poisoning. Man that sucks. How long does that take to break down anyway? It somehow resulted in massive acne and a lot of "sick" kind of symptoms. Surprised he's still alive...

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re:dioxin poisoning
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2004, 01:05:24 PM »
Dioxin is fat soluble and really there is no way I know of for it to get out of your system at least not anytime soon. The scary thing is dioxin is such a simple molecule to make, we may see more dioxin poisonings in the future.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline movies

• Organic Minion
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-21
  • Better living through chemistry!
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2004, 04:06:44 PM »
There was a grad student who made a ton of different dioxin analogues in grad school (circa 1957) was still alive and well, last I heard, although he suffered from severe chloracne.

It's not readily metabolized by mammals and mainly concentrates in the liver.  It'll probably be a while until he starts to recover.  Fortunately, everything I have read seems to suggest that dioxin isn't especially lethal to humans (although it's 10,000 times more lethal to mice than cyanide is).

Mitch is right, I doubt we've seen the last dioxin poisoning, especially now that it is back in the spotlight.  If you didn't know, TCDD ("dioxin") was found to be a significant impurity in a lot of the "Agent Orange" that was produced during the Viet Nam war and then caused a lot of problems for those who were exposed.  It doesn't seem that it causes birth defects and the like in humans (at least the humans exposed to Agent Orange in Viet Nam), although it causes severe birth defects in rats.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2004, 07:31:26 AM »
AWK

angiems

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2005, 10:32:07 PM »
I know this is a bit late, but you guys don't seem to do much business over here.  I was just reading up on the link that AWK posted, and did you all notice that it has a half-life of 8.5 years???  And that chloracne lasting for 10 years... shiiit.

Sponsored Links