April 19, 2024, 10:08:20 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: lower volatility solvents that are miscible with water (and not nasty!)  (Read 6872 times)

Offline mufan

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hi all,
I am looking for a solvent that is miscible with water but does not evaporate quickly.  For instance, I have experimented with ethanol and methanol but they evaporate too quickly for my taste.  However, I want it too evaporately quicker than water does. 

Does anybody know of any good candidates? Or of a good chart that lists water miscible solvents.  Also, I can't use anything that is hazardous or nasty.  Thanks!

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
Tetrahydrofuran (THF), Acetone, Acetonitrile, Dimthyl sulfoxide, Isopropyl Alocohol.

Your definition of hazardous is very vague. Water is the most hazardous chemical on the planet, as more people die from direct contact with excess of it then anything else.

Offline english

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +31/-10
  • grad student
Your definition of hazardous is very vague. Water is the most hazardous chemical on the planet, as more people die from direct contact with excess of it then anything else.

Heh

Offline Sam (NG)

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +12/-3
  • Surface Modification
Tetrahydrofuran (THF), Acetone, Acetonitrile, Dimthyl sulfoxide, Isopropyl Alocohol.

I would have said that Acetonitrile was hazardous, and DMSO too (indirectly depending on what you are dissolving in it due to it's ability to permeate your skin).

Does DMSO evaporate more quickly than water?

Isopropyl Alcohol (i-Propanol) evaps slightly slower than Ethanol.

Table of Common Solvents: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solvent#Properties_table_of_common_solvents

The things that are miscible with water will be polar
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 12:13:30 PM by Sam (UoN) »

Offline mufan

How is volatility measured?  Does it directly correlate with flash point data or BP?  I would like to find a chart where I can see the volatiliy of water and then see where miscible solvents stand relative to that.

Offline Sam (NG)

• Chemist
  • Surface Modification
How is volatility measured?  Does it directly correlate with flash point data or BP?  I would like to find a chart where I can see the volatiliy of water and then see where miscible solvents stand relative to that.

Vapour Pressure gives the evaporation rate at a certain temperature.  Higher Vapour Pressure --> More Volatile.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 12:12:49 PM by Sam (UoN) »

Offline Sam (NG)

• Chemist
  • Surface Modification
For your enjoyment, vapour pressures @ 20C in mmHg:

DMSO 0.42
DMF 2.7
n-Propanol 14.9
Water 17.5
i-Propanol 33
Ethanol 44.6
Acetonitrile 72.8
THF 143
Acetone 184

The solvents below water (in the list) evaporate faster than water, the solvents above don't.

Offline mufan

cool thanks!

Sponsored Links