April 19, 2024, 02:20:21 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Heating Copper  (Read 12186 times)

Offline CausticPotash

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Heating Copper
« on: June 19, 2007, 06:16:58 PM »
I was heating a strip of copper over my butane burner just seeing if I could melt it or shape it or something, but something much cooler happened. At first, the strip turned blue, then green, kind of in a wave like manner. Like if you were dipping the strip in a blue liquid at an angle and then taking it out a little and then putting back in again. Then it turned pink (in the "wave like" manner) and looked molten but wasn't. After I let the strip cool, a thin blue layer of flaky stuff was left on top of the copper. I immediatly thought copper sulfate... but there wasn't even any sulfur involved. Could anyone tell me what was going on here? (both the changing of colors and the blue stuff)

Thanks,
CausticPotash
In Mother Russia, chemicals bond you!

Offline constant thinker

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +85/-45
Re: Heating Copper
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2007, 09:05:27 PM »
Just 2 thoughts, probably both are wrong.

Maybe, because of the high temperature, the carbon dioxide and water produced by the combustion could form a copper carbonate/hydroxide complex like in the minerals malachite and azurite.

Alternatively just copper (II) carbonate and copper (II) hydroxide might be produced. I doubt this could be happening, but look at pictures of the 2, and see if either of them look anything like what you saw.

I've never put much thought into what is actually going on when you heat a piece of copper in the manner you did (I've done the same, and seen the same).
"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are, 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.' " -Ronald Reagan

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniels." -Frank Sinatra

Offline CausticPotash

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 01:13:49 AM »
It some parts it looks similar to the color of azurite in others it looks similar to the color of the copper(II) hydroxide. definetly not the carbonate or malachite

Thanks

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 12:25:49 PM »
Were you heating an old piece of copper?
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Offline CausticPotash

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 01:46:19 PM »
No, I had just gotten it.

Sponsored Links