April 24, 2024, 08:56:40 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Microscope  (Read 7019 times)

Offline ShadowSpirit

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Microscope
« on: July 07, 2007, 06:21:40 AM »
Sorry that this is not entirely related to Chemistry... But I am curious to know whether you can view anything under an optical microscope under dim lights, because my friend and I were having this argument... And I don't mean the microscopes where you put a slide onto a stage, but one that can be used for looking at fairly large things like a book. Again, sorry if this is a stupid question, and one not related to Chemistry. I did do a search on the Internet but there isn't anything that directly answers my question.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Microscope
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 06:40:04 AM »
Define anything, define dim lights. Question is vague, so any answer will do.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline pipsqueak

• Very New Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 03:14:09 PM »
Telescope, for big things at a distance, yes?

Offline ShadowSpirit

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 06:50:24 AM »
Define anything, define dim lights. Question is vague, so any answer will do.

Okay, let me rephrase the question. If you are using an optical microscope, no scanning or anything, to look at one page of a book, without using additional light source other than the illumination already present in the room (say, morning sunlight), will it work?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 12:30:40 PM »
It still depends on many factors - like magnification. In most cases you will be able to see something - but wether you will be able to make anything out of what you see is questionable.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline ShadowSpirit

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 12:42:15 PM »
It still depends on many factors - like magnification. In most cases you will be able to see something - but wether you will be able to make anything out of what you see is questionable.

Thanks very much, I'll just bother you with one more question: if the magnification needs to be large enough for me to see the paper fabrics of the book, would I make out each individual fabric in such a condition?

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 01:22:49 PM »
I doubt. But the only way to be sure is to check by yourself.

Matt Lacey

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2007, 06:45:42 PM »
On a microscope slide transmission of light through the stage from a lamp underneath (usually) will illuminate your sample enough for you to see it. When you've got something large and opaque that you want to look through, you'll need to rely on reflection to be able to see it... I guess it depends on how much ambient lighting there is, but if there isn't enough, you'll have a hard time making anything out. Hope that helps... maybe

-Matt

Sponsored Links