April 26, 2024, 12:14:33 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Aluminum and chlorinated ethylenes  (Read 2859 times)

Offline Wondering

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Aluminum and chlorinated ethylenes
« on: July 16, 2007, 10:22:36 PM »
Hi all,

I've a question here, please help.

What can Al(III) do with chlorinated ethylenes (like tetrachloroethylene, PCE and Trichloroethylene, TCE)?
Fe can de-Cl PCE and TCE but I cannot find any clue for Al with them.

When I dispense a drop of Al(III) in a beaker of TCE/PCE measuring the interfacial tension, the Al(III) aqueous drop eventually disappears and form a skin-like film.  It does not happen with either DI water control or Cu(II), but does happen when substitute Al(III) with Fe(II or III).  Interestingly, the form was not observed when dispense TCE/PCE drop in Al(III) or Fe(II or III) aqueous phase.  Here, it means the ratio of the volume of organic/aqueous matters too.

I tried to narrow it down by substitute TCE/PCE with TCA and Toluene, while the new systems did not form films and behaved similar to controls.  This means the both the double bond and -Cl matter in this case.  

If it just happens to Fe, it can be explained by the de-Cl.  De-Cl process comsumes H+ and it makes the drop less acid and Fe(III)  will precipitate and account for the semi-rigid film.  But Al(III) messes up this justification.  
Please *delete me*

Thanks a lot!

Sponsored Links