April 26, 2024, 11:48:52 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Environmentally safe peroxide oxidant  (Read 5343 times)

Offline limpet chicken

• mad scientist
  • Mole Snacks: +49/-27
  • Vote Limpet for supreme emperor of the new order
Environmentally safe peroxide oxidant
« on: January 17, 2005, 04:59:14 AM »
I am in need of a fast oxidiser for concentrated hydrogen peroxide, normally sodium or potassium permanganate would be used, but in this case, my idea would be for aquatic use, thus making manganese compounds unsuitable, due to environmental toxicity.

I need an environmentaly clean, or at least one with reaction byproducts that are environmentally nontoxic in water, as I had  an idea, for a self-contained semiautomatic harpoon rifle or handheld torpedo launcher system, using hollow steel darts with a propelling reservoir of 90-95% hydrogen peroxide, with a seperator that could be pierced by a needle shaped firing pin, allowing the peroxide to contact a powerful oxidizer, thus giving the ammunition its own self contained jet propulsion system.

Given a reasonable barrel length, I think it would make quite a good aquatic based weapon, not sure if it would work on land though.

So, I am looking for an oxidizer that would not foul up the surrouding ecosystem (I am, at least, an environmentaly sound mad inventor ;D), but would oxidize the peroxide fast enough to propel the dart or warhead, depending on the weapon design.

I considered perxenates, just out of curiosity, as they wouldn't be cheap to produce (and I can't seem to find a synthesis anywhere :P) as they would oxidise the peroxide almost instantly, and I think they would perhaps degrade just to xenon gas, harmlessly, any other ideas people?

Or for that matter, how to produce perxenates from xenon gas :)

Thanks.
The light blinds
So behold darkness as our new light
In our darkness we can see
So with others blindness
We take flight.

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
Re:Environmentally safe peroxide oxidant
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005, 11:45:22 AM »
Really, H2O2 at that concentration will be catalyzed to decomposition by just about anything.  If the 'opening' of the vessel is small enough, some powdered iron would easily be able to catalyze its decomposition into water and oxygen gas, and all you'd be left with is rust.  If you just want to turn the H2O2 into a gas for propulsion purposes, this would probably be the best way to go.
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Sponsored Links