March 28, 2024, 10:00:04 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Free Radical detection by wet chemistry??!!  (Read 11075 times)

amitsachdeva

Free Radical detection by wet chemistry??!!
« on: January 24, 2005, 11:52:11 PM »
I am desperately trying to detect the presence of free radicals (produced by Benzoyl Peroxide) in a solvent. I am looking for an indicator that can detect the presence of free radical species and not the presence of Benzoyl Peroxide itself. Being a preliminary investigation, I don't want to use anything but wet chemistry. I will be glad if I can get any suggestions. Thank you.

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re:Free Radical detection by wet chemistry??!!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2005, 12:04:32 AM »
okay, you should read the organic literature, I'm sure this has been done many times before.

I have a crazy idea that you could use cyclohexadiene and monitor the UV-Vis absorbance over time, but I haven't looked this up and you should read-up on radical indicators.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

amitsachdeva

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2005, 12:44:59 AM »
Thanks for the reply. Is there a direct method that I can use instead of using any kind of sophisticated techniques? At this level, I just want to use pure wet chemistry methods. Thanks.

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2005, 05:23:57 AM »
how about using iodine to trap free radicals?
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

amitsachdeva

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2005, 09:54:58 AM »
I found a reference to an article that describes the use of Iodine to detect the presence of peroxides. I wonder if it will show a different color after the dissociation of Benzoyl Peroxide. Dichlorofluorescin is an indicator used detecting free radicals in the medical industry.

Sponsored Links