April 16, 2024, 09:48:41 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: SPECT-PET Difference  (Read 72510 times)

Offline diablo

• Mole Snacks: +1/-6
SPECT-PET Difference
« on: October 18, 2007, 08:13:59 AM »
Hi,

got some questions about Spect & PET :

what are the differences ? ( Ok, i read that they use different radio-tracers, but why is quantification @spect not able; why must the "ring" arround the patient be fixed @pet and why can cameras rotat @spect ?)

hope you understand my questions^^

greets
Diabloo

Offline diablo

• Mole Snacks: +1/-6
Re: SPECT-PET Difference
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 08:28:12 AM »
ehm, anyone know's a site were i can see the prices of such devices?^^

thx,

Diablooo

Offline Miep

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 09:45:05 AM »
Hi,

It's all about the isotopes they use.  PET uses positron emitters (F-18, C-11,...), this positron annihilates with an electron in the body of a patient and thereby creates two gamma-rays under an angle of 180°C.  The beautiful thing of PET are these two gamma-rays.  When two detectors (in the ring) detect a ray at the same line, you can draw a virtual line between them (180°C!!).  On the intersection of all the different "lines" lies your source of radiation.  This gives PET a good sensitivity and resolution and quantification possibilities.
A SPECT isotope (Tc-99m) emits one gamma ray, so reconstruction is more difficult, only rays that fall straight on the detector are detected (otherwise you won't know from which direction it came), so the camera has to rotate to make a full image.
I hope a made it more clear to you...

Miep

Offline vaduvur

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 05:13:45 PM »
:-)

Sponsored Links