April 18, 2024, 06:59:58 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Testing for Formaldehyde  (Read 11313 times)

Offline Origin

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Testing for Formaldehyde
« on: October 19, 2007, 12:10:45 PM »
hello everyone,
hopefully i am putting this topic in the correct section.  i need a little help on a study that i am proposing to do.  in this study, i would like to take soil samples from local cemeteries and test for formaldehyde.  can anyone suggest a proper way of doing this, or if you have a protocol that might describe the process.  i've searched many databases for published research articles, however, i am not having much luck on finding one.  any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Rabn

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +28/-13
Re: Testing for Formaldehyde
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2007, 01:31:37 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formaldehyde

The properties of formaldehyde present many obstacles to testing for it in cemeteries. The way formaldehyde temporarily preserves cells is by permanently binding proteins to DNA. The problem is that formaldehyde can be oxidized in cells to formic acid. Your best bet is to find a way that formaldehyde changes the environment. You probably need to use a secondary form of detection, i.e. a change is the environment that is directly proportional to the amount of formaldehyde, whether a bacteria that thrives in that environment or some other way.  Good luck and let us know if you find anything.

Offline AhmedEzatAlzawalaty

• Mole Snacks: +4/-31
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 08:04:46 PM »
u may use schiff base it gives magneta red color

Offline Origin

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2008, 02:34:15 PM »
u may use schiff base it gives magneta red color

i am not familiar with schiff base.  could you explain a little more or do you have a protocol that describes this process?

thank you

Sponsored Links