March 29, 2024, 02:01:19 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Synthesis of Mescaline  (Read 16083 times)

Offline Pessimism

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Synthesis of Mescaline
« on: October 20, 2007, 06:12:02 PM »
i'm doing a research paper for my organic chemistry class on the synthesis of a drug. the drug i have chosen is mescaline: 3,4,5-trimethoxy phenethylamine. i am required to explain the lab synthesis of the drug and, since mescaline is derived from a plant, i also need to explain the biosynthetic process in peyote.

there is, however, one stipulation. i am not allowed to use websites as resources. with the exception of online journals, absolutely no online resources are allowed. the biosynthesis of mescaline is adequately diagrammed on the University of Southern Maine's organic chemistry directory.* however, i cannot use this as a source.

i've scoured the online databases (Journal of Chemical Education, American Chemical Society archives, etc.) for information on the biosynthesis of mescaline in peyote to no avail. has mescaline research been neglected? i'd be grateful for any suggestions on resources i can look into.

*http://www.usm.maine.edu/~newton/Chy251_253/Lectures/AminesII/default.html.

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re: Synthesis of Mescaline
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 06:28:03 PM »
Its in JACS!

An Improved Synthesis of Mescaline
Fred Benington, Richard D. Morin
J. Am. Chem. Soc.; 1951; 73(3); 1353-1353.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline Pessimism

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 10:40:19 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

I'd seen that article and added it to my bibliography. However, it's very out of date. Secondly, there is no available material on plant biosynthesis. The article only covers the lab synthesis. It seems the situation is as I feared. The best academic research available dates back to almost six decades ago.

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007, 10:48:41 PM »
Its a rather simple molecule, how could you defend a research grant to synthesize something trivial?
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

Offline agrobert

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +69/-17
  • diels alder
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 03:54:01 AM »
If you have time, get this book.  Very informative on your specific subject as well as derivatives.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PiHKAL
In the realm of scientific observation, luck is only granted to those who are prepared. -Louis Pasteur

Offline Pessimism

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2007, 05:18:45 PM »
Thanks for the book suggestion. I'd heard of PiHKAL and saw entry #96 (mescaline) online, but I thought it was website-only material. Now that I see that it is, in fact, a legitimate book I'll use it as a source.

Mitch -- I would have thought that such a simple molecule would have something, anything current on its biosynthesis. A research grant is hardly necessary. Perhaps one article in the last sixty years detailing the biosynthetic process would be sufficient. Am I asking too much?

Offline Fry

• Mole Snacks: +3/-3
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2007, 05:24:35 PM »
Title:     Biosynthesis of the peyote alkaloids

Source:    Journal of natural products [0163-3864] Paul yr:1973 vol:36 iss:1-4 pg:36 -45

All I had to do was type "biosynthesis of mescaline" into a research database; scopus, specifically.

Offline Pessimism

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2007, 08:06:17 PM »
There is no abstract associated with that article. In addition, there are no hard copies of this article on any university campuses in the state of California. The information purported to be easily available does not exist in any accessible form.

The fact is that there is very little, if any, material on the biosynthesis of mescaline in plants.

Title:     Biosynthesis of the peyote alkaloids

Source:    Journal of natural products [0163-3864] Paul yr:1973 vol:36 iss:1-4 pg:36 -45

All I had to do was type "biosynthesis of mescaline" into a research database; scopus, specifically.

Offline Custos

• Mole Snacks: +32/-0
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 06:04:22 PM »
I find it hard to believe that the Journal of Natural Products is unavailable on any university campus in California  :)

I suggest that it is probably available in every chemistry Department of any respectable size.

Offline Pessimism

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2007, 11:13:21 PM »
The Journal of Natural Products is likely available on every campus. However, it is apparently not in such great demand as to prevent its disposal past the age of 30. The article in question can be found in a journal published in 1973. That journal is likely available in a select few locations: the personal library of the author and at the bottom of several landfills across the country.

Offline agrobert

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +69/-17
  • diels alder
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2007, 11:21:12 PM »
It is actually available as a hard copy in every UC library.
In the realm of scientific observation, luck is only granted to those who are prepared. -Louis Pasteur

Sponsored Links