April 25, 2024, 12:18:41 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Limiting reactants. How and why they work the way they do.  (Read 4791 times)

Offline inspiration100

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Limiting reactants. How and why they work the way they do.
« on: October 23, 2007, 02:59:54 PM »
In my first quarter of college chemistry, we are going to be doing an experiment about the reaction of hydrogen peroxide and bleach tomorrow.  First off, I believe (not 100% sure) the equation is H2O2 + NaOCl --> NaCl + H2O + O2.  This is at least what I came up with since it appears when hydrogen peroxide and bleach mix they form aqueous sodium chloride, water, and bubbles of oxygen gas.  First off, am I correct with that equation?

Second, if that equation IS correct, it appears everything is a 1:1 mole ratio?  How would you tell what is the limiting reactant since it's just 1:1?  I'm still trying to grasp this concept.

Third, My hypothesis is that the more peroxide that is added, the more the O2 will produce until it hits the limiting reactant point.  But since it's a 1:1 ratio, isn't the limit going to be met as soon as I add more Peroxide than bleach?

Alright that's it for now.  Thanks in advanced a million.  I'll try to remain active on this forum  :D.

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
Re: Limiting reactants. How and why they work the way they do.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 04:40:45 PM »
Second, if that equation IS correct, it appears everything is a 1:1 mole ratio?  How would you tell what is the limiting reactant since it's just 1:1?  I'm still trying to grasp this concept.

Yes it is correct and yes it is 1:1.

The limiting reagent is not which one has a smaller coefficient in front of the balanced equation, it is which one you have less of; which is totally dependent on your operating conditions.

http://dbhs.wvusd.k12.ca.us/webdocs/Stoichiometry/Limiting-Reagent.html

Sponsored Links