April 19, 2024, 10:23:59 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Colored Flash Paper???  (Read 7190 times)

Kong

Colored Flash Paper???
« on: January 29, 2005, 05:41:46 PM »
Does anyone have any ideas about an easy way to make flash paper that burns different colors??

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
Re:Colored Flash Paper???
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2005, 09:24:18 PM »
I'm not sure how to make flash paper, but you can different colors by soaking the paper with different salts.  Potassium salts burn with a violet color, Strontium and lithium with a red color, sodium with a yellow-orange color, barium with a green color, copper with a blue-green color, and those are all I can think of at the moment.
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Kong

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2005, 10:42:39 PM »
Flash paper is nitrated cellulose.    

Offline hmx9123

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +59/-18
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2005, 07:38:51 PM »
I haven't heard of any ways to color flash paper; flash powder (magicians') is a different story, though.  The problem is since it's nitrated cellulose, it doesn't hold salts well.  In addition, if you coated it with solutions of salts and let them dry to try and get a color, unless it was a VERY strong colorant and you had a lot of it, it would be lost in the sodium line when the nitrocellulose burned (with its horribly contaminated sodium salts).  The best place to look is on the archives of rec.pyrotechnics under Google Groups.  You could ask there, but I think they get this question pretty frequently, as well as the "how do I make colored fire to eat" question.

Sponsored Links