April 19, 2024, 06:01:25 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Net Ionic Equations - Questions  (Read 56894 times)

gingi

Net Ionic Equations - Questions
« on: January 29, 2005, 06:39:07 PM »
Hi guys ! It's my first time around your part of the virtual world...
I have a problem... big one acually...
I need to write a lab report which is due in 2 days and I have 16 problems to solve...
All of them consist of
1) writing the molecular equation (which I know how to do)
2) Complete Ionic equation (no idea)
3) Net ionic equation (no idea)

These are few examples

*) Pb(NO3)2 + H2SO4
*) Pb(NO3)2 + Na2S2
*) Na2S2 + HCL
*) CH3COON + HCL
*) CdCl2 + Na2S
*) CuSo4 + Na3PO4

((all the above are (aq)))

It'll be so so awosome if someone will actually be able to solve the examples and explaic how he did it. Hope it'll happen...
thanks alot !

dexangeles

Re:Net Ionic Equations - Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2005, 06:43:06 PM »
i believe you need to show us your work first
that's the rules  ;)

gingi

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2005, 07:08:42 PM »
I simply don't know what are ionic queation and how to compose them...
The examples I wrote above are an exapmles for metathesis reactions - which means that the part of writing the reaction itself it's not a problem (AX + BY --> AY + BX).
But I need help with ionic equations...

Offline jdurg

• Banninator
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +106/-23
  • I am NOT a freak.
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2005, 09:33:07 PM »
If you can write a molecular equation you can EASILY write an ionic equation.  An ionic equation is basically the same thing as a molecular equation, except instead of the whole molecules who write out the ions for those molecules that are aqueous.  (So for example, with NaCl you'd write it out as Na+ and Cl-, while silver Calcium Carbonate would be written as CaCO3 because it doesn't dissolve to form ions).  

In a 'Net Ionic Equation', any ions that exist in both sides of the equation are omitted.  Here are some examples of all three equations for the mixture of Hydrochloric Acid and Sodium Hydroxide to form Sodium Chloride and Water.

Molecular Equation:
HCl(aq) + NaOH(aq) --> NaCl(aq) + H2O(l)

Ionic Equation:
H+(aq) + Cl-(aq) + Na+(aq) + OH-(aq) --> Na+(aq) + Cl-(aq) + H2O(l)

Net Ionic Equation:
H+(aq) + OH-(aq) --> H2O(l)

So in the first example, all molecules are written out completely.  In the second example, all ions are written out completely on both sides.  In the third example, any common ions (The sodium and chloride ions) are removed.  If you can grasp that, you can easily figure out the ones you have.   ;D
"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists

Kong

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2005, 09:49:38 PM »
Long and short....

The reactions you are doing are called.... double displacement.
First, When you write a reaction
AgNO3(aq) + NaCl(aq)  =  
even though we write the atoms together they are actually seperate.  
****In aqueous solutions Ionic compounds dissociate...This is big.
So even though we write them together, they are actually seperate(if they are ionic)
Molecular equation
       writing a chemical equation with the substance together, like molecules, no matter what.
AgNO3(aq) + NaCl(aq) =  

Ionic equation
    This is a more realistic way yet not as nice to look at.  If a reaction contains an ionic substance then the equation will actually show the substaces seperated as dissolved species.
Ag+  +  NO3-  +  Na+  +  Cl-  =  

Net ionic equations
    Before explaining net ionic equations there is one more thing you need to understand.  The order that the items are written make no difference.  So, in order for an actual reaction to take place we need to actually have a Cation (+) and an Anion(-) come to gether and form a new solid.  

In the example I chose It would be the Ag+ ion and the Cl- ion.  I know this from solubility charts and or general trends of solubility.
Soooo  inorder to have a reaction take place we need a new substance forming, usually a new solid but could be something like Water.  (neutralization reaction)

The net ionic equation will only show those items that actually change.   It will eliminate what are called "spectator ions"  Spectator ions do nothing.  They are floating around independatly before the rxn and are doing the same after.  

AgNO3(aq) + NaCl(aq) = AgCl(s)  + NaNO3(aq)     note:  new solid formed so reaction is OK.
Ag+  + NO3- + Na+ + Cl- =  AgCl(s) + Na+ + Cl-   note the new solid isn't floating around any more it is solid
Ag+  +  Cl-   =   AgCl(s)         Only changed items.  No spectators  

***Other ideas, or things your teacher will want you to be able to do
1.   Write the correct products and write those formulas correctly.  
2.   Make sure that you can recognize an ionic compound when you see one.  (usually metal/non-, or polyatomic)
3.      Probably balancing.
4.   Check for solubility of products to make sure  a reaction is taking place.

AS

Offline brotherseerko

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 01:09:07 AM »
Long and short....

The reactions you are doing are called.... double displacement.
First, When you write a reaction
AgNO3(aq) + NaCl(aq)  =  
even though we write the atoms together they are actually seperate.  
****In aqueous solutions Ionic compounds dissociate...This is big.
So even though we write them together, they are actually seperate(if they are ionic)
Molecular equation
       writing a chemical equation with the substance together, like molecules, no matter what.
AgNO3(aq) + NaCl(aq) =  

Ionic equation
    This is a more realistic way yet not as nice to look at.  If a reaction contains an ionic substance then the equation will actually show the substaces seperated as dissolved species.
Ag+  +  NO3-  +  Na+  +  Cl-  =  

Net ionic equations
    Before explaining net ionic equations there is one more thing you need to understand.  The order that the items are written make no difference.  So, in order for an actual reaction to take place we need to actually have a Cation (+) and an Anion(-) come to gether and form a new solid.  

In the example I chose It would be the Ag+ ion and the Cl- ion.  I know this from solubility charts and or general trends of solubility.
Soooo  inorder to have a reaction take place we need a new substance forming, usually a new solid but could be something like Water.  (neutralization reaction)

The net ionic equation will only show those items that actually change.   It will eliminate what are called "spectator ions"  Spectator ions do nothing.  They are floating around independatly before the rxn and are doing the same after.  

AgNO3(aq) + NaCl(aq) = AgCl(s)  + NaNO3(aq)     note:  new solid formed so reaction is OK.
Ag+  + NO3- + Na+ + Cl- =  AgCl(s) + Na+ + Cl-   note the new solid isn't floating around any more it is solid
Ag+  +  Cl-   =   AgCl(s)         Only changed items.  No spectators  

***Other ideas, or things your teacher will want you to be able to do
1.   Write the correct products and write those formulas correctly.  
2.   Make sure that you can recognize an ionic compound when you see one.  (usually metal/non-, or polyatomic)
3.      Probably balancing.
4.   Check for solubility of products to make sure  a reaction is taking place.

AS
Actually the Net Ionic Equation should be:
Ag+    +   NO3-   =AgCl(s)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 02:58:46 AM »
Actually the Net Ionic Equation should be:
Ag+    +   NO3-   =AgCl(s)

No. Correct equation has been listed in the post.

Reviving 5 years old threads is called necromancy.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links