April 16, 2024, 01:59:12 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: hi yum i have a few questions for people who major in chemistry...  (Read 2950 times)

Offline nicefella

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Hello, um i have some questions for scientists who work in a laboratory...
1] How do general scientists use use chemistry in their work?
2] What memories do you guys (dont have to be a scientists) have of chemistry in high school?
3] What do scientists enjoy about their job?
4]What do scientists usually not enjoy during their jobs?
5] What kind of training do scientists usually get for their job?
6] How much does the scientist get paid?
Thank you so much, im supposed to ask a real life scientist these questions, but i cant because im not crutches so i cant really get out of the house....
Again, thank you very much

Offline IITian

• Mole Snacks: +4/-2
  • Materials & Chemical Engineer
Re: hi yum i have a few questions for people who major in chemistry...
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 03:56:19 PM »
1. Starting from solubility to pH testing, corrosion of metals to cooking food...all involves chemistry
2. I don't remember much (other than doing some colourful and exploding experiments!)
3. The challenge of exploring new frontiers
4. The administrative bit [asking people (who have no knowledge of any scientific stuff) to fund their research!]
5. They have to do a PhD in the related field. This come after you have done BS & MS...
6. It depends; it can be anything from $40k to $125k (approximately)

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: hi yum i have a few questions for people who major in chemistry...
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 04:07:43 PM »
1.  Too general to answer.  All the world is is chemistry.  And biology.  And physics.  And math.  Or not. :)

2.  You're too nice a guy, and I'm too polite to relates.  (plus I forgot)

3.  I like most of all, solving a problem no one else can solve, then saying, "Oh that little thing, yeah, 'took care of it for ya. K thx bye."

4.  Paperwork.  It is a little daunting to chronicle your experiments to the satisfaction of a regulatory board.  If you don't like paperwork, quit the sciences -- no one is going to pay you to perform experiments without documentation.

5.  After school, there is often specific safety training in the workplace, and specific training on the instruments and procedures in the lab.

6.  Its hard to say.  Generally, chemists and biotechnologists  are at the high end of the median for recent college grads.  A quick check online for salary rates based on discipline will bear that out.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links