March 29, 2024, 06:30:09 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Help for a young beer maker  (Read 5203 times)

Offline tbone037

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Help for a young beer maker
« on: January 17, 2008, 10:56:06 AM »
So, this is somewhat of a concept / I'm curious and might (read: probably) never get around to doing, but anyway.

I make my own beer/wine and am very interested in the concept of recycle/reduce/reuse.  So most of the materials I can get or retrofit to work for a new purpose I will.  It goes without saying that containers are a crucial part of making your own beer/wine and I have had to bite the bullet and get a few 5 gallon glass carboys for my fermentation vessels.  However, I'm always in the market for more/varied containers.

So the lab here at work goes through alot of 1 gallon+ size chemical bottles and they just stack up outside waiting to be recycled. There's 2 types.

Type one: Opaque sturdy white plastic ones that hold anything labeled from "water, reagent" to mildly dangerous chemicals.

Type two: Brown glass, thick, heavy, with superduty lids. The chemicals I've seen on the labels are Potassium Permanganate (spelling?), Ethyl Alcohol, and Petroleum Ether. Bad stuff. Like 3 or 4 in several categories on the MSDS sheets.  But only 1 in the Health category if i recall correctly.

Here's my two main questions. Could you ever clean these things enough to be safe? Could you test them to make sure they are clean?

Thoughts and concerns are appreciated.  I need these guys to be clean not just for the obvious safety reasons but they will have young beer or wine in them for extended periods of time and will pick up off flavors/odors if they can. 

For those of you who know these containers do you think they will stand up to the pressure of carbonation?  For example a normal wine bottle will shatter (known as bottle bombs) or at least eject a cork if you try to bottle sparkling wine or beer in it.  However, a champagne bottle / beer bottle with a bottle cap will hold up to the pressure.  These bottles seem pretty strong/sturdy.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Help for a young beer maker
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 12:39:51 PM »
Briefly, no, you shouldn't use them for a home purpose. 

Longer explanation:
You can't really be sure you've cleaned them out enough, and you can't really be sure the one's that say they only contained water really never accidentally contained something else. 

Your boss/supervisor/safety officer/VP in charge is not going to let you have something with their name on the delivery label in your house, it'll look like you're dumping their waste for them.  If someone says it's A-OK with them -- they're making a mistake, one that will come and bite them or you in the arse sooner or later.  They have contracts with the recycler -- expensive ones -- to prevent problems, you'll be interfering.

Reuse of laboratory equipment is just simply not done.  Recycling is often done, but it has to be destroyed in the process, so it doesn't rear up it's ugly head when you'd want it least.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Alpha-Omega

• Mole Snacks: +360/-231
  • Physical Inorganic Chemist
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 12:49:56 PM »
Even with the most intense high temperature steam cleaning processes...NO DO NOT RISK IT...and true...your boss would be violating waste disposal protocols...you could be slapped with an OSHA fine/violation.

Offline Bakegaku

• Mole Snacks: +20/-5
  • Hydrogen peroxide is my miracle cure to everything
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 06:31:48 PM »
Well as far as chemical safety goes, using a container that once held lab purity ethyl alcohol for beer or wine making wouldn't be bad, but it's not worth risking.  There definitely are the official problems with recycling and legal issues...  I wouldn't suggest it at all.  Just be glad that the lab's equipment is going to be recycled and reused anyway  :P

As an alternative... Could you use milk jugs or soda bottles for the fermentation vessel?  The quantity would definitely be smaller, but it should be fine. 
"True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing"
-Socrates

"I see, I forget.  I hear, I remember.  I do, I understand"
-Confucius

"Nothing will benefit human health and increase chances for survival of life on Earth as much as the evolution to a vegetarian diet."
- Albert Einstein?

"American cartoons place characters in situations; anime
places situations around characters.  Anime characters
are not like fictional characters but more like fictional
people; their actions stem directly from their personalities,
and not just as a means to move the story's plot
forward.  We are made to sympathize with them, and
not simply be entertained by them."
~John Oppliger~

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 08:07:33 PM »
You can just use 5 gallon painters buckets you buy from the local hardware store with tight fitting lids. You really can, trust me, I have. Just clean and sterilize them really well (obviously they have to be new, and not previously been used for anything).

You actually do not want a completely sealed container; which you implied. You want to maintain the pressure, but to much pressure is bad; you actually want a pressure relief system that will maintain the pressure.

And I would not even put it in a HPLC grade old Ethanol container. They denature the Ethanol with methanol. If you have any of that left in there, your beer will suck (there will not be enough to hurt you, just make you vomit and feel horrible). Plus, you will produce some methanol in the fermentation most likely, you want to optimize the conditions to reduce it and not possibly add anymore!

Sponsored Links