April 17, 2024, 11:17:24 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Centrifuging and pelletting cells out of a methanol containing solution  (Read 7410 times)

Offline minimal

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
I'm currently trying to pellet a mixture of cells and small clusters of tissue out of a solution that contains methanol by centrifugation.  And I'm having a difficult time with it.  I've tried a lot of different settings on the centrifuge, which adjusts for speed, time, and temperature.  Nothing seems to work, I'm able to visually identify some of the cells still floating in the middle of the liquid (they have been stained with hematoxylin and eosin). 
Does anyone have any ideas, is there another solvent I should add that the cells might migrate to that would help me pellet them?
Does anyone know what it is about the methanol that makes it so hard to pellet the cells?
Thanks in advance.

Offline jottawa

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Centrifuging and pelletting cells out of a methanol containing solution
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2008, 05:46:28 PM »
I too just had the same trouble today with a large loss of cells that would not pellet so i could not run a FLOW.
I want to keep the integrity of the fixed cells, but get them to pellet.  I tried 5 minutes at 5000 g and lost a lot of cells unexpectedly.
I would love some advice as well before i try it again.

Sponsored Links