March 29, 2024, 07:32:51 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Questions about component removal and extraction  (Read 3930 times)

Offline Halo_Test

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Questions about component removal and extraction
« on: February 12, 2008, 11:37:32 PM »
If I have a solution that contains H2O2, HCO2H and acetone and after an exothermic reaction occurs with what I'm making, how do you remove the volitale components using a vacuum, in laymens terms?

How do you extract a solution with benzene and what does that mean?

What does it mean and how do you "wash" the pooled extracts with H2O and then dilute with NaOH? How much Sodium Hydroxide whould you use to "dilute" and how do you know if you used too much or to little. Is it ok to use KOH instead?

Yes, these may be basic questions for 99.9% of the people here but I want to learn.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Questions about component removal and extraction
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 07:27:47 AM »
Yes, these may be basic questions for 99.9% of the people here but I want to learn.

That is true.  It's always fun to learn, but there is an sequence to learning, we start easy, and advance to more complex concepts.  That way, there are no gaps in what we learn, and we can handle all contingencies safely.  That's why, I, personally, don't care to answer questions like this -- that's just me, some noobs 'round here are all too willing to dump all the answers to a question, for empathic brownie points, I'm assuming.  They've seemed to have missed the point of these forums -- Socratic learning, you ask a question, we give you a hint, you try to apply the hint, we tell you if you're correct or we give you a different hint, until you learn for yourself.

It's very early in the morning as I type this, and my coffee hasn't kicked in yet.  So I can't discern whether you're making narcotics, explosives, or pharmaceuticals in your home lab. Or whether you're some garage industrialist, trying to make rubber, or put the detergent people out of business, or some such foo.  At any rate, you've deliberately left out some reactants in the "exothermic reaction occurs with what I'm making", so you're not completely honest with us, either.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, look over here:
http://www.chemicalforums.com/index.php?topic=22833.0;topicseen
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 08:00:39 AM by Arkcon »
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline azmanam

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +160/-24
  • Mediocrity is a handrail -Charles Louis d'Secondat
Re: Questions about component removal and extraction
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 07:42:27 AM »
You're not trying to make acetone peroxide, are you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetone_peroxide
Knowing why you got a question wrong is better than knowing that you got a question right.

Sponsored Links