April 20, 2024, 05:47:31 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Finding pH in terms of Ka1 and Ka2 of a polyprotic acid  (Read 24080 times)

Offline nihil.ad.rem

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Finding pH in terms of Ka1 and Ka2 of a polyprotic acid
« on: February 15, 2008, 08:00:17 PM »
I need help solving this problem. The multiple parts are supposed to guide you through it, but I still don't understand how do it.

a. The principal equilibrium in a solution of NaHCO3 is
    HCO3- + HCO3- <---> H2CO3 + CO32-
    Calculate the value of the equilibrium constant for this reaction.

For this part, I got that Keq = Ka2 / Ka1, and after looking up the values, I got that Keq = 1.3x10-4.

Here's where I stop knowing what to do...

b. At equilibrium, what is the relationship between [H2CO3] and [CO32-]?

No values are given for these. Are they equal? Am I just supposed to give an equation?

c. Using the equilibrium H2CO3 <---> 2H+ + CO32-, derive an expression for the pH of the solution in terms of Ka1 and Ka2 using the results from part b.

Keq for this rxn would be equal to (Ka1)(Ka2), but I don't know how the answer to part b fits in, or how to relate both to pH.

d. What is the pH of a solution of NaHCO3?

I don't know how to go about this, and I don't understand how I am supposed to get a numerical answer for part d (which is what I am supposed to get) when no values for any of the concentrations are given.

I don't expect anyone to do my homework for me, but I really need help getting started. Thanks in advance.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: Finding pH in terms of Ka1 and Ka2 of a polyprotic acid
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 04:40:33 AM »
K1K2=[H3O+]2total[CO32-]/[H2CO3]
AWK

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Finding pH in terms of Ka1 and Ka2 of a polyprotic acid
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 05:13:43 AM »
Honestly, I don't understand suggestions given. First of all, I would not call this reaction

HCO3- + HCO3- -> H2CO3 + CO32-

principal - if it will be true, there will be no pH change when dissolving sodium bicarbonate, as there are no H+ produced nor consumed during the reaction. What is happening is HCO3- reacts with water - either dissociating

HCO3- + H2O -> H3O+ + CO32-

or hydrolyzing

HCO3- + H2O -> H2CO3 + OH-

Both these reactions can change pH of the solution and both are responsible for the final equilibrium. But - none of them dominates! See the discussion (and the way of finding solution) here:

http://www.chembuddy.com/?left=pH-calculation&right=pH-amphiprotic-salt
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 05:55:09 AM by Borek »
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links