April 23, 2024, 10:07:43 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Area of study: organic/biochem  (Read 4098 times)

the chemist

Area of study: organic/biochem
« on: March 03, 2005, 09:21:53 PM »
Ok, well i didnt know were to put this, mods please move if necessary.
I have to decide on specializing in either biochemistry I/II or advanced organic/inorganic for my BS in chemistry.  I originally wanted to do biochemistry as a freshman as I was into health and lifting weights etc etc and wanted to anaylize prohormones or heck anything health related. On the other hand I really enjoyed taking organic and would like to stay as strickly chemical as possible(i think). I think advanced organic would be a blast but i have yet to taste any biochem??

I currently am involved in working with ionic liquids and think its pretty cool. I just dont know if i would like inorganic chemistry which seems like basic chem 112 which i didnt enjoy too much.  
Also if anyone has any reading material or links that would be great. Although i dont even know what to really search for. thanks

Offline Mitch

• General Chemist
  • Administrator
  • Mole Snacks: +376/-3
  • "I bring you peace." -Mr. Burns
    • Chemistry Blog
Re:Area of study: organic/biochem
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 10:14:07 PM »
Try to take Biochemistry before you make any decisions.
Most Common Suggestions I Make on the Forums.
1. Start by writing a balanced chemical equation.
2. Don't confuse thermodynamic stability with chemical reactivity.
3. Forum Supports LaTex

the chemist

Re:Area of study: organic/biochem
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2005, 04:00:41 PM »
I am thinking of going the biochem route. I was a little concerned that my biology background wouldnt be sufficient, however the more people I talk to the better i feel. I cant really "try out" biochem as that would put me behind another year(my own fault as i pretty much left myself with a year left of straight chem ;D). thats what i get for changing majors :o   thanks for the help
jonathan

Sponsored Links