March 28, 2024, 09:37:21 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: AAS  (Read 4086 times)

Offline chaneliman

• Mole Snacks: +1/-9
AAS
« on: February 20, 2008, 05:13:25 AM »
long path burner desirable?
sample solution converted into fine droplets?
Why nebulisation identical for samples + standards determine?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 01:17:04 AM by chaneliman »

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Atomic Absorption Spectroscopy
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 07:23:20 AM »
What does the book or your class notes say?  It would be better for you if you answer in the words your teacher expects.  These are just rules for proper instrument use, there is nothing for us to calculate or derive from theory.  Although, the third question is a pretty obvious one from a general scientific standpoint.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline marauder

• Mole Snacks: +1/-3
Re: Atomic Absorption Spectroscopy
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 07:20:29 PM »
Thought I might have a go at this one as my frst contribution to the forum.

Long path burners - The longer the burner, the more opportunity there is for light to be absorbed before it reaches the detector.  This results in a greater difference between the detected light before and while the sample passes through the flame.  Net result is a stronger signal that is less affected by signal noise.

Droplets - Small droplets vaporise more effectively (they have more surface area for heat transfer to take place).  Larger droplets would take longer to vaporise, or may not vaporise at all.  if its not vaporised, it wont absorb light in the same way.

The last question relates to reliability of results.  If you use different equipment for two tests, how can you be sure that the observed variations in results are not caused by the equipment?

Hope that makes sense

Sponsored Links