April 27, 2024, 07:05:21 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Yeast Fermentation Anaerobic  (Read 4213 times)

Offline potatopotato

• Mole Snacks: +5/-1
Yeast Fermentation Anaerobic
« on: February 26, 2008, 09:28:24 PM »
Would anyone be able to explain how yeast fermentation works in anaerobic situations (no oxygen available)

If I were to allow it to ferment in a plastic bag with 4g of yeast, 4g of sugar, 40 mL of water 40ÂșC...(Note, no air in bag = no oxygen  = anaerobic situation), is it suppose to produce carbon dioxide and ethanol...? Not sure how the equation will look like?

If after an hour, I am to measure the mass of bag including contents, I guess it is to weigh more due to carbon dioxide produced...right? If I was to burn a splint in bag, the fire is suppose to burn out because carbon dioxide is present? But will the mass of bag and contents change now because I burned it?

Will placing the bags in different water baths (different temperature) affect the yeast fermentation?? In what ways??

Wow, I have quite a few questions to ask  :o, thank you to those that help

Offline azmanam

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +160/-24
  • Mediocrity is a handrail -Charles Louis d'Secondat
Re: Yeast Fermentation Anaerobic
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 09:56:26 PM »
Would anyone be able to explain how yeast fermentation works in anaerobic situations (no oxygen available)

start here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermentation_%28wine%29

is it suppose to produce carbon dioxide and ethanol...? Not sure how the equation will look like?

yes.  you have starting materials and products, can you convert to molecular formulas?  then balance.

I guess it is to weigh more due to carbon dioxide produced...right?

matter is neither created nor destroyed...

If I was to burn a splint in bag, the fire is suppose to burn out because carbon dioxide is present? But will the mass of bag and contents change now because I burned it?

see CO2 question...

Will placing the bags in different water baths (different temperature) affect the yeast fermentation?? In what ways??

think about cooking dinner.  do you cook in the oven or the refridgerator?  why or why not?
Knowing why you got a question wrong is better than knowing that you got a question right.

Offline potatopotato

• Mole Snacks: +5/-1
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 10:01:18 PM »
Thank you for noting all of the hint and ideas, I will always remember your help because I think you are a genius  ;D

You think in depth about all the contents, I should follow your footsteps and that will probably help me,,

many thanks
potatopotato

Offline LyreTail

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 12:46:17 AM »
I do not think it will increase in mass since there is no additional mass being added. The CO2 is formed from the sugar being metabolized. However a bag may not be your best option because the volume will expand and explode the bag making a stinky mess.

Sponsored Links