April 25, 2024, 05:49:21 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: How can I tell whether or not two compounds will produce a buffer solution?  (Read 15580 times)

Offline son012189

• Mole Snacks: +1/-6
 ???
I can't find this anywhere in my notes or in the text book.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
What is buffer definition?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline son012189

???
A buffer is a solution that resists changes in pH when small amounts of strong acid or base are added.

I still don't know how to tell whether or not 2 compounds will produce a buffer solution.

Offline agrobert

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +69/-17
  • diels alder
What are some examples of buffered solutions?

How are buffer solutions limited to certain pH ranges?
In the realm of scientific observation, luck is only granted to those who are prepared. -Louis Pasteur

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
There's a better definition of buffer that tells you what it's made of, and how it works, which will completely answer your question.  The examples of buffer solutions that you've seen, can you find no pattern to their composition?  Try listing 3 from your textbook for us, and let's see.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline son012189

???
(CH3)2AsO2H
NaC2H3O2
C6H13NO5

I listed 3 random buffer solutions and I see no pattern. I am trying to find out how I can tell whether or not two compounds will produce a buffer solution.

I want to know how I can answer a question similar to the one below:

Will compound A and compound B produce a buffer solution?

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
OK, for simplicities sake, a buffer is made of two components, generally.  It can have more, it can have less, but let's not go and get ahead of ourselves.  You've got 3 formulas just listed in a row, which may be how your question is written, but I'd expect your book's first, introductory buffer explanation to be substance A , and substance B, in water.  What you've given us is not 3 buffers from your book, and I'm not shocked that 3 random chemical formulas show no pattern.

Also, when you just list the simplest chemical formula, for an organic molecule, you don't say much.  C2H3O2 and C6H13NO5 could be any of a number of chemicals.  Look for names, like acetic acid, potassium hydrogen phosphate, or things like that.

And by all means, give us the Compound A and Compound B they've given you in the problem, and will give you hints about how they would (or wouldn't) work together to make a buffer.

Offline son012189

???
I actually got several compound A's and compound B's on my homework. Here is one of them: NaC2H3O2 and HC2H3O2

Offline enahs

• 16-92-15-68 32-7-53-92-16
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +206/-44
In simplistic terms a buffer is made of a weak acid and its conjugate base, or vice versa.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffer_solution

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
In simplistic terms a buffer is made of a weak acid and its conjugate base, or vice versa.

I actually got several compound A's and compound B's on my homework. Here is one of them: NaC2H3O2 and HC2H3O2

And here you have (most likely) acetic acid and sodium acetate. Can you tell which one is acid and which is conjugated base?
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
???

OK, now enahs and Borek and I can tell (and I hope you can too) that these two chemicals are acetic acid, and sodium acetate.  The names are your first hint.  Now, can you draw the dissociation reaction for these two in aqueous solution?

Oh, and by the way, I said your simplified formulas can mean many different compounds, see this link for all the different organic molecules C2H4O2 can be -- http://webbook.nist.gov/cgi/cbook.cgi?Formula=HC2H3O2&NoIon=on&Units=SI
(although, admittedly, some of those deuterated one's aren't really unique)

Sponsored Links