Chemical Forums

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Sponsored links

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Good General Chemistry Books  (Read 89784 times)

Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1372/-369
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Good General Chemistry Books
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2008, 11:57:56 AM »

Do you, or anyone else, have any recommendations for books that are more mathematically intense.

General Chemistry is - in general - not mathematically intense. Move on to physical chemistry or quantum/computational chemistry if you need math challenge.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info, pH-meter.info

Martingale

• Mole Snacks: +7/-1
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2008, 12:02:09 PM »

Do you, or anyone else, have any recommendations for books that are more mathematically intense.

General Chemistry is - in general - not mathematically intense. Move on to physical chemistry or quantum/computational chemistry if you need math challenge.

Do I need to know the info/concepts from general chemistry in order to be able to follow a physical chemistry or quantum/computational chemistry book?
Professor: Anywho, your net suits will let you experience Fry's worm-infested bowels as if you were actually wriggling through them.
Dr. Zoidberg: There's no part of that sentence I didn't like.

Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1372/-369
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2008, 12:33:13 PM »

Depends. Many years ago when I was working at ChemDept of Warsaw University we had a deal with Math Dept - we were giving them differential equations and they were trying to solve them. If they did - they were listed as authors of electrochemistry papers, not knowing the difference between electrode and solution ;)

I was also working with a mathematician who was involved in using FEM for simulation of diffusion, and he had some quite interesting results. One day he came to the lab and asked what is this silvery liquid in the bottle. Mercury? So it is liquid? Wow! Problem was nobody knew where he should get his PhD from - for sure not as a chemist, and for mathematicians his work was not worth much. It was too practical, and his papers were full of number with decimal digits. Horrible.

So - sometimes you can do interesting things not knowing what you are doing in chemical terms. But to understand what you are doing you better start with GenChem101.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 12:46:47 PM by Borek »
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info, pH-meter.info

zeiks

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2008, 07:33:36 AM »

Chemistry By RAMSDEN is cool

essantise

• Very New Member
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2008, 05:53:39 AM »

what about Mc Cabe and Kern ???
it's very useful right... ^o^

nj_bartel

• Mole Snacks: +76/-42
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2008, 06:52:49 AM »

Do you, or anyone else, have any recommendations for books that are more mathematically intense.  I have a pretty strong background in mathematics though I have never taken a chemistry class before.

University Chemistry by Peter Siska is the most mathematically intense general chemistry book I have ever read.  At least calc1, maybe calc2 mastery necessary to understand.  Thus, I'm not a fan of it at all, but it would be what you're looking for.

nj_bartel

« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2008, 07:22:40 AM »

pretty sure you can pick up a softcover edition for about $60 us new, cheaper obviously if you can find it used.

edit: it's an 800+ page book with color illustrations; not an awful value in my opinion.

Martingale

• Mole Snacks: +7/-1
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2008, 07:26:09 AM »

pretty sure you can pick up a softcover edition for about $60 us new, cheaper obviously if you can find it used.

edit: it's an 800+ page book with color illustrations; not an awful value in my opinion.

Title: General Chemistry
Author: Linus Pauling

$13.57    ;D
Professor: Anywho, your net suits will let you experience Fry's worm-infested bowels as if you were actually wriggling through them.
Dr. Zoidberg: There's no part of that sentence I didn't like.

flightman233

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2008, 01:24:57 AM »

I've used the 4th ed of

General Chem and reactivity:

Koltz, Trechieal(spelling), and Weaver

It's pretty good, goes over the concepts well, and is decently math based with a few errors.

My university freshman course is switching texts next semester to a book by Brady (publisher I think) don't know much about it, but my mentor says that it is better than the Koltz book.

scc

• Experience Learning With A Difference
    • Score Your 'A' in Chemistry
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2008, 03:00:12 AM »

There are couple of basic chemistry books in amazon that are pretty useful for those that would like to get the interest in Chemistry back. This is what i recommend my students as well as their parents (parents in Asia are very anxious about their child's education). Read through the books listed below and find them pretty easy to digest.

I have placed the booklist here.
http://simplechemconcepts.com/resources/recommended/
I am using the 2nd book as a reference when i am coaching my students these days.

You can check out your local bookstores or amazon to get one i believe.

Hope that helps,
Sean
* Free Download of Video on
TIPS for Balancing Chemical Equations at
>>> www.SimpleChemConcepts.com

* Get your Secret mini eBook on Mole Concepts at
>>> http://www.simplechemconcepts.com/moleconceptssecrets.html

leaftye

« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2008, 10:29:07 AM »

I've used the 4th ed of

General Chem and reactivity:

Koltz, Trechieal(spelling), and Weaver

It's pretty good, goes over the concepts well, and is decently math based with a few errors.

I'm using the 6th edition, and I'm not too crazy about it.  I can't put my finger on it, but it seems to be missing something.  Slightly off topic, but they're supposed to be coming out with a 7th edition before the next semester.  :o

IITian

• Mole Snacks: +4/-2
  • Materials & Chemical Engineer
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2008, 08:51:20 AM »

Inorganic Chemistry by Catherine E. Housecroft, Alan G. Sharpe, Paperback: 832 pages, Publisher: Prentice Hall

Inorganic Chemistry: Principles of Structure and Reactivity (4th Edition) by James E. Huheey, Ellen A. Keiter, Richard L. Keiter, Hardcover: 964 pages, Publisher: Benjamin Cummings

Descriptive Inorganic, Coordination, and Solid State Chemistry by Glen E. Rodgers, Hardcover: 560 pages, Publisher: Brooks Cole

Advanced Inorganic Chemistry: A Comprehensive Text: F. Albert Cotton, Geoffrey Wilkinson, Carlos A. Murillo, Manfred Bochmann 8)

Organic Chemistry (5th Edition) by Leroy G. Wade, Hardcover: 1296 pages, Prentice Hall

Fundamentals of Organic Chemistry by John E. McMurry, Hardcover: 664 pages, Brooks Cole

Organic Chemistry, Fourth Edition : Structure and Function by K. Peter C. Vollhardt, Neil E. Schore, Hardcover: 1203 pages, Publisher: W. H. Freeman

Guidebook to Mechanism in Organic Chemistry: Peter Sykes

Electronic Structure Calculations for Solids and Molecules
Theory and Computational Methods
Jorge Kohanoff

Electronic Structure
Basic Theory and Practical Methods
Richard M. Martin

Physical Chemistry by Atkins

Elements of physical chemistry by Glasstone, Samuel

General Chemistry:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/General_Chemistry

archyjuice

« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2008, 11:21:18 AM »

is the organic chemistry book by john mcmurry good?

nj_bartel

« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2008, 03:20:05 PM »

I find it very easy to read and very informative, although it has some incorrect facts such as flawed reaction mechanisms, but your professor should be able to point you to where those are.  Absolutely get the study manual - it helps a lot.

BlowUpEverything

« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2008, 04:25:00 PM »

General Chemistry by Linus Pauling seems a bit more advanced than what we covered in Gen Chem.  It is quite a nice book to have around though, I've read through a lot of it.  In school, we used Zumdahl and Zumdahl's "Chemistry".  The book itself wasn't bad, but what really made it shine was the companion website.  It has videos for every chapter explaining each important topic from the ground up.  It was especially helpful for the later chapters on ligand field theory and main group elements.  It also has videos of fun reactions dealing with each section of the book.  I still get on there from time to time...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up

Mitch Andre Garcia's Chemical Forums 2003-Present.

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 24 queries.