March 29, 2024, 10:40:23 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Good Organic Chemistry Books  (Read 450935 times)

Offline biomiracle

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Re: Good Organic Chemistry Books
« Reply #225 on: July 07, 2014, 09:39:15 PM »
Hello!

I am planning to study the organic chemistry during this summer to prepare for the upcoming organic chemistry course and the current synthetic research lab.  I had posted the similar post to the textbook section, but I did not get a response at all.  I currently own both Loudon's (my university requires this textbook) and Wade's textbook, which are both know to be based on the functional-groups approach.  However, I heard that the mechanism-based learning is much more effective than the functional groups...so I did some research and found out that the Clayden's and Hornback's textbooks are very good in terms of mechanism-based approach to the organic chemistry.   Should I purchase them and supplement the Loudon's?  I also own Klein's second language books, electron pushing, arrow pushing, and model kit. 

Thank you very much for your time, and I look forward to the reply!

Offline Hunter2

• Mole Snacks: +162/-47
  • Vena Lausa moris pax drux bis totis
« Reply #226 on: July 08, 2014, 12:56:19 AM »
Only one thing to say: You cannot enough books in my experience. But I wouldn't worry to think to much before the course starts.

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
« Reply #227 on: July 08, 2014, 06:52:47 AM »
I did some research and found out that the Clayden's and Hornback's textbooks are very good in terms of mechanism-based approach to the organic chemistry.   Should I purchase them and supplement the Loudon's? 

If you have the money, get both. If not, get them out of the library and see if you like them enough to make the investment.

I would strongly recommend Clayden (I used it a lot as an undergrad and liked it). I've never heard of Hornback, so I can't comment on that one.
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline davidenarb

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
« Reply #228 on: July 13, 2014, 02:16:31 AM »
Greetings all,

I am about to start reading synthesis textbooks. Although choosing a book is a subjective decision, I would like to know your opinions about the two following textbooks :

-Introduction to Strategies for Organic Synthesis by Laurie S. Starkey
-Organic Synthesis the Disconnection Approach 2nd Edition by Stuart Warren and Paul Wyatt

Thanks
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 03:04:02 AM by davidenarb »

Offline zsinger

• Mole Snacks: +18/-60
  • Graduate Chemist
« Reply #229 on: July 27, 2014, 11:01:47 AM »
All,
I am looking for a COMPREHENSIVE book about the nature of strictly mechanisms.  Can be very densely written, but I would like pictures as well, as I believe visualization is the key to understanding.  Lets hear em'!
             Zack
"The answer is of zero significance if one cannot distinctly arrive at said place with an explanation"

Offline salteen

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
« Reply #230 on: July 27, 2014, 12:28:02 PM »
Check out The Art of Writing Reasonable Organic Mechanisms by Grossman.  It's not a comprehensive collection of named reactions as most other books are, but rather teaches you how to approach elucidating mechanisms.

Offline Rutherford

• Mole Snacks: +60/-29
« Reply #231 on: August 11, 2014, 04:15:07 PM »
Grossman's book is excellent.

Offline davidenarb

a concise book of organic reactions??
« Reply #232 on: August 15, 2014, 08:31:48 PM »
Hi organic chemists!

Does anyone can recommend a concise book as a reference guide of organic reactions??

Thank you

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: a concise book of organic reactions??
« Reply #233 on: August 19, 2014, 07:59:48 AM »
Hi organic chemists!

Does anyone can recommend a concise book as a reference guide of organic reactions??

Thank you

March's Advanced Organic Chemistry
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline davidenarb

Re: a concise book of organic reactions??
« Reply #234 on: August 20, 2014, 08:17:39 PM »
Hi organic chemists!

Thank you

March's Advanced Organic Chemistry

Thank you Dan for your recommendation. Actually, I am going to organize my personal notebook of synthetically useful reactions, so I am looking specifically for a concise book that summarize just the reactions. It can be, for instance, by functional groups.

Thanks

Offline Guitarmaniac86

• Mole Snacks: +31/-2
  • Medicinal Chemist
« Reply #235 on: October 11, 2014, 07:32:06 AM »
I bought "Strategic Applications of Named Reactions in Organic Synthesis" by Laszlo Kurti and Barbara Czako. It has about 250 odd named reactions with brief explanations and mechanism, and lots of references. I use it as a reference book as it is not really a study book but if you are serious about Org chem and have the money, its deffo worth the investment (It was bloody expensive though and I only bought it because it looked interesting...)
Don't believe atoms, they make up everything!

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +135/-16
« Reply #236 on: October 14, 2014, 01:17:18 PM »
I bought "Strategic Applications of Named Reactions in Organic Synthesis" by Laszlo Kurti and Barbara Czako. It has about 250 odd named reactions with brief explanations and mechanism, and lots of references. I use it as a reference book as it is not really a study book but if you are serious about Org chem and have the money, its deffo worth the investment (It was bloody expensive though and I only bought it because it looked interesting...)

Totally agree. Not that I can compare with others but its IMO well written, its detailed but  not that much that it owerhelms you with information (which you can find in more than 50 references to each reaction). THe thing I realy like are the examples from real syntheses, sometimes its kinda difficult (for me at least) imagine the reaction in more complicated molecules

Offline Ingeniosuccinimide

• Mole Snacks: +2/-2
« Reply #237 on: October 27, 2014, 12:15:41 PM »
Did any of you ever use/study through this book to refresh some memories and solve some tasks:

http://ebookee.org/Organic-Chemistry-Problem-Solver-REA-Problem-Solvers-_679342.html

We have the older edition in our office and the book seems interesting. Is it outdated? Can we hear any expreiences/opinions?

Offline Rutherford

• Mole Snacks: +60/-29
« Reply #238 on: November 16, 2014, 05:48:38 AM »
What book should be read first by Warren: "Disconnection Approach" or "Strategy and Control"?

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +135/-16
« Reply #239 on: November 16, 2014, 12:13:55 PM »
Im pretty sure strategy and control is a sequel so disconection approach it is

Sponsored Links