March 28, 2024, 12:09:34 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Good Organic Chemistry Books  (Read 450863 times)

Offline GinaTageldin

• Mole Snacks: +1/-2
recommended books for a chemist researcher
« Reply #270 on: March 07, 2017, 08:52:22 AM »
Hi all, i need valuable books for both designing drugs and most of organic reaction. but with an easy language and which topics would i start with????(graduate level)

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
Re: recommended books for a chemist researcher
« Reply #271 on: March 07, 2017, 11:07:37 AM »
On drug synthesis search for books of Daniel Lednicer and Jie Jack Li.
AWK

Offline Dan

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +469/-72
  • Organic Chemist
    • My research
Re: recommended books for a chemist researcher
« Reply #272 on: March 08, 2017, 02:27:51 AM »
need the basics in a simple form.

Typically that is not what a graduate level book is. Maybe undergraduate level is what you are looking for? Maybe Clayden for general organic chemistry and Graham Partick's "Introduction to Medicinal Chemistry"?
My research: Google Scholar and Researchgate

Offline GinaTageldin

• Mole Snacks: +1/-2
books??
« Reply #273 on: March 11, 2017, 01:54:50 PM »
please i need books or a book for 3D QSAR, design of peptidomimetics, protein homology modelling, and the transition from agonists to antagonists.

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
Re: Good Organic Chemistry Books
« Reply #274 on: May 13, 2017, 09:37:00 AM »
If by "Clayden's" book you mean this one http://www.amazon.com/Organic-Chemistry-Jonathan-Clayden/dp/0199270295/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387184497&sr=8-1&keywords=clayden+organic+chemistry

Then this is the one I would recommend to anyone wishing to further their knowledge of Organis chemistry

This book would be very challenging for someone without prior knowledge of organic chemistry or at least a gentler introduction to the topics..

Interesting - what would you recommend in place?

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +135/-16
« Reply #275 on: May 16, 2017, 07:36:42 AM »
Can anyone recomend a good book on stereoselective synthesis? Im looking for something tha explains the real basics but covers the depth as well.
Im getting the oxford primer and we have Atkinson, R.S. Stereoselective Synthesis. John Wiley & Sons, New York, USA, 1995. as a recomended one but it is 20 years old so Im bit worried that its sligtly outdated.

Offline clarkstill

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +77/-4
« Reply #276 on: May 24, 2017, 07:26:00 AM »
Can anyone recomend a good book on stereoselective synthesis? Im looking for something tha explains the real basics but covers the depth as well.
Im getting the oxford primer and we have Atkinson, R.S. Stereoselective Synthesis. John Wiley & Sons, New York, USA, 1995. as a recomended one but it is 20 years old so Im bit worried that its sligtly outdated.

Depends what you're looking for, but Classics in Stereoselective Synthesis is a good one:

http://eu.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-3527299661.html

Offline kriggy

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +135/-16
« Reply #277 on: June 19, 2017, 04:02:28 PM »
Thanks. I got asymetric synthesis by Garry Procter and it seems great for me. I will look into the classics when I get more time

Offline FireWalkWithMe

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #278 on: June 20, 2017, 01:49:55 PM »
Haven't seen any book nearly as good as Klein's textbook for an undergraduate Organic Chemistry class, not just in this subject but anywhere else. Clayden's better for theories but I don't get the point of that if you don't get to develop skills and learn how to apply them.

Offline Vidya

• Mole Snacks: +46/-62
  • Online Chemistry and Organic Chemistry tutor
    • Online Chemistry Tutor
« Reply #279 on: July 27, 2017, 09:04:42 AM »
Hi
I have seen now many professors are using Klein book and I am getting every second student requesting to use this book in tutoring class.I also really liked the book as it covers from very basics and advance concepts very nicely with plenty of solved examples.
Organic Chemistry
David R. Klein

Offline lakers4sho

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1/-0
What book to learn from after first year organic chemistry?
« Reply #280 on: September 13, 2017, 12:20:05 PM »
So I am about to finish the year of sophomore Organic Chemistry (at the level of Klein/Janice Smith). I'd like to move on to more complicated treatments of the subject. What is the next book that will be accessible to me? Can I dive right into Carey/Sundberg? Or should I go through an intermediate text, like, say Stowell (Fabirkiewicz)?

Thanks

Offline dew3554

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Where do I start!?
« Reply #281 on: December 11, 2017, 10:13:59 AM »
Hey, im really interested in organic chemistry and i would really like to learn the basics up to synthesis. Today I learned about functional groups, how they're defined and how they worked. However I dont know where to go from here, ive googled the steps up to learning synthesis and couldnt find anything, could somebody tell me what i need to learn in order to get up to learning synthesis, currently i only have basic knowledge of chemistry, I got a B in high school chemistry and it is a really interesting and enjoyable subject that id like to learn and possibly get a degree in. Thanks for taking your time to read this,

Drew.

Offline OrganicDan96

• Mole Snacks: +20/-1
Re: Where do I start!?
« Reply #282 on: December 11, 2017, 10:51:58 AM »
books are a good way to learn, but like with many things take small steps, don't run before you can walk.

learning curly arrows and simple reactions. also it's important to understand nucleophillicity and electrophillicity which require an understanding of electrons and electronegativity.

Offline earthnation112

• Mole Snacks: +2/-0
Re: Where do I start!?
« Reply #283 on: December 13, 2017, 06:33:34 PM »
Hey, im really interested in organic chemistry and i would really like to learn the basics up to synthesis. Today I learned about functional groups, how they're defined and how they worked. However I dont know where to go from here, ive googled the steps up to learning synthesis and couldnt find anything, could somebody tell me what i need to learn in order to get up to learning synthesis, currently i only have basic knowledge of chemistry, I got a B in high school chemistry and it is a really interesting and enjoyable subject that id like to learn and possibly get a degree in. Thanks for taking your time to read this,

Drew.

A good book to go through not all of it but some chapters is Organic Chemistry by Jonathan Clayden, its seen as the gold standards for undergraduate students, similar to the atkins series for physical and inorganic chemistry. 

Offline MangoPaws

• Mole Snacks: +1/-0
« Reply #284 on: January 09, 2018, 12:53:34 PM »
Genuinely curious; I started my undergraduate degree with Louden's Organic Chemistry and preferred the explanations and felt the readability was better than Clayden. Does anyone agree?

Sponsored Links