April 25, 2024, 08:52:31 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: sulphur dioxide synthesis  (Read 7928 times)

Offline apricot

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
sulphur dioxide synthesis
« on: March 16, 2008, 12:29:07 PM »
Guys I need just a clue. To make sulphur dioxide gas one needs to drop conc. H2SO4 on copper turnings, right? then the gases produced are bubbled through conc. H2SO4, but for what reason? SO2 can then be collected.
Also, apart from this is there any other way in which SO2 can be prepared in the small scale in the lab, without using electrolysis?

Thanks

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: sulphur dioxide synthesis
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 01:18:00 PM »
I'm not 100% sure that H2SO4 evolves SO2 when mixed with copper, it may, I've just never heard of that particular recipie for SO2.  The conc. H2SO4 is a classical way to dry moist vapor, which you get whenever you try to generate a gas by fizzing it out from an aqueous solution.  Another way to generate SO2 is to simply burn sulfur, in air.  There's no competing reactions, and the SO2 you get is moisture free.  I hope your ready and equipped to handle this noxious gas.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 01:27:16 PM »
Drying and perhaps removing SO3 traces (well soluble in concentrated sulfuric acid).
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline srb

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 05:21:54 AM »
Sulphur Dioxide can be prepared in the laboratory with copper turnings. The reaction is Cu + 2H2SO4 -> CuSO4 + SO2 (gas) + 2H2O. Then SO2 is dried using Sulphuric Acid. After this Sulphur Dioxide gas can be collected by the upward displacement of air. On a small scale, when Sulphur is burnt in Oxygen, SO2 gas is formed. Or else Galena, Iron or Copper pyrites or Zinc Blende can be burnt in Oxygen to yield Sulphur Dioxide.

Sponsored Links