March 29, 2024, 11:06:57 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Why I was Late To Work!!!!  (Read 8805 times)

Offline Alpha-Omega

• Mole Snacks: +360/-231
  • Physical Inorganic Chemist
Why I was Late To Work!!!!
« on: March 20, 2008, 08:42:54 AM »
BROKEN FAN BELT MUST SEE!!!

A guy in St. Louis was driving to work on
Hwy 144 when he heard a 'pop'! .
He thought it sounded like a flat tire,
though his ride wasn't affected.
After pulling over, checking the tires and
finding them intact , he opened the hood
to look at the motor. Before the hood was
even all the way open he jumped back
in shock and knocked his head on the
partially opened hood, unable to believe
what his eyes were seeing!
Nobody was going to believe this!
You sure wouldn't have either!
Fortunately, a coworker with a camera recognized him along side the road and
stopped to see if he could help.

Scroll down and check out the attachment photos to witness
for yourself the source of his amazement.
Now, this has to be right up there at the
top of the list of unusual but verified
'Reasons I was late for work' !

How'd you like to find this under your hood?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 09:31:01 AM by Borek »

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1799/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
Re: Why I was Late To Work!!!!
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 11:37:01 AM »
One of my neighbours here has a cat called Kita (something like Tail, although not exactly). Other neighbour took her car, drove somewhere, did some shopping or something like that, and drove back. She tell later that she heard something like meowing, but she was not sure. When she left her car she has heard strange sounds from below the hood. When she opened it Kita jumped at her, angry as wasp :)

How the cat survived around 20 kilometers trip under the hood and close to the hot engine (in Summer, perhaps not as hot as in Texas, but still it was around 25 deg C) is a mystery, especially when you take size of the car into accout:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiat_Cinquecento
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Alpha-Omega

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 02:00:41 PM »
Well, obviously cats are far more intelligent than snakes.....and I THINK THAT IS A GOOD THING...I do NOT like SNAKES!!!!!  I would run the other way if that was under my hood.....OMG...all the mods on my engine.....OH NO WAY!!!!!!

I am glad to hear she survived....cats sometimes do that here in the arctic Chicago winters...USUALLY...when the engine starts they jump out safely...

Kita is a cool name...I like the way it sounds!!!...I will ask Anna what that means...she is from Poland.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 02:46:50 PM »
Kita is a cool name...I like the way it sounds!!!...I will ask Anna what that means...she is from Poland.

Note it is pronounced like keetah (or something similar), not like kite. I have chcked dictionary - kita is translated as bushy tail or ponytail. Fox and squirrel tails are usually called 'kita'.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Alpha-Omega

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 04:52:20 PM »
I got it...Kita...yes..like...keetah...and it is a term that represents a class of animal having a long furry tail:  racoons, squirrels, cats, etc...

Many people will ame their pets Kitka...meaning little or piquito...small animal with furry tail...

Anna has a friend who named her cat Kitka.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 05:39:10 PM »
Many people will ame their pets Kitka...meaning little or piquito...small animal with furry tail...

Exactly. Neighbors often refer to Kita as Kitka, although it is by no means small cat :) Especially taking into account that it is female, and comparable in size to my cow.

Offline Alpha-Omega

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 07:23:36 PM »
OK..Anna was trying to explain...she did say Kitka meant  small/sweet...little...like chiquita...in Spanish.  There is chica  and chiquita...and chiquita has the connotation small/swwet/little one...

Well, her friend named her kitten Kitka...so that one is a small cat...a kitten...

OK so are you saying you have a large female neighbor...or a really big CAT...likje a mountain lion for a neighbor!!!!!!!!

Wait...the neighbor is a large woman and has a cat named Kita...OK so neither the neighbor nor the cat is/are small!!!!!  AHHHH but the large female neighbor is referred to as Kitka by her friends...because she is endearing!!!!!

Ok one of those is correct....HELP ME OUT HERE!!!!!! ;D

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 07:56:06 PM »
Kitka is a diminutive of Kita, so it is either small or beloved and so on.

Ok one of those is correct....HELP ME OUT HERE!!!!!! ;D

Won't be easy. First of all my English is limited, second, more then one of those can be correct. I have at least six female human neighbors, of these at least two can be considered large. Plus my backyard is visited by at least five female cats, of these at least two are large as well. Taking into account continuous disputes between family members about who owns particular cat, things can be impossible to resolve.

Only thing I am 100% sure is that Kita (sometimes called Kitka) is definitely a large female cat.

To add to confusion Kita is most often called Kitka not by her female owner, but by her female owner housband (who is not small either).

Offline Alpha-Omega

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 09:46:17 PM »
oOK BORKE....about time you made me LAUGH...OUT LOUD...I am still laughing....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Word of the day...KITKA!!!!  And Anna sure is looking at me kind of strange...better stop laughing....LOL

OH now she wants to know who said Kita!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  She has offered to TEACH ME POLISH!!!!  Oh Great....cannot wait...I have Anna #1 wants to teach me RUSSIAN (she is one of the software developers-read about her on sepsci-Around The Water Cooler)...she says I look like her mother-in-law "EXACTLY LIKE HER"...she stares at me and apologizes...turns out she lives 1 block from my mom who is 83 and OH she wants to take my MOM to the corner bar for a drink ...that is in NY!!!  Anna#1 commutes from NY to Chicago...all the time to teach ....uuuummmm OK Challenged People our software..

OH I know there is a reason my mother's address is 666 W._ _ _ Avenue...and THAT IS NOT A JOKE!!!

Now I have Anna#2 wants to teach me POLISH!!!!  And she is here in Chicago...and now she is going to try and teach me POLISH....OH GREAT...she is going to start by labeling everything in POLISH...OMG!!!!  OK great I am up for the challenge...

I can barely speak English anymore..NY...Chicago..Texas...no one can understand me...my accent shifts depending on which part of the country I have to TOLERATE!!!!!!

Anna#2 likes this website...she thinks she might join and strat to HELP PEOPLE...and then teach me POLISH...on the side!!!!!

OH sure now little NY, little, Chi Town, Little TEXASSSS, got some of my Spanish going on...now lets just throw in some Russian and Polish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  GGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZEEEEEEEE

I mean...even my slang shifts....I Y'all...Oh TX for sure...and then SWEET...at least I keep my audience guessing...Oh what state are we in now!!!!!!

OK here is my BIG CHANCE to BECOME Muti-Lingual...GREAT JUST GREAT!!!!!!!  they paln on putting little post it notes all over my office in various tongues....!!!!!!

Well, it will be far easier than the data I looked at today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And OH YEAH Easter in Chicago...we are getting a BLIZZARD...it will start at 2 am and it will end Saturday at midnight....SNOW SNOW SNOW....forget the snakes in the engine...I need a pair of skies, 20 lbs of rock salt...OH and I bought a pair of crutches...Just In Case....

So if I get snowed in at the office with Anna#1 and Anna#2...I can practice Russina and Polish...there you go perfect weekend!!!!!

Believe me your English is just fine..!!!!!

Sponsored Links