March 29, 2024, 03:21:28 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: electrolysis in ac  (Read 3407 times)

Offline Wil"

• Mole Snacks: +0/-3
electrolysis in ac
« on: March 25, 2008, 11:32:16 AM »
why can't electrolysis take place with alternate current?

Offline P

• Mole Snacks: +64/-15
  • I am what I am
Re: electrolysis in ac
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 12:01:23 PM »
because your negative ions migrate to the positive electrode and your positives ions migrate to the negative electrode.  In AC your positive and negative electrodes are ALTERNATING...   therefore your ions will just move to and fro between the two rather than being continuously attracted to any one.
Tonight I’m going to party like it’s on sale for $19.99!

- Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

Offline ARGOS++

• Mole Snacks: +199/-56
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 12:06:51 PM »
Dear Wil";

It can take place, if the Frequency is low enough, and the Amplitude high enough.

But also in this case the Anode and the Cathode will change for each Phase their Polarity.
Quintessence: If they change their Polarity fast enough, then the same amount that was just discharged will be charged in the next Phase of the AC on the same Electrode, and so on (The Ions never move away.).

Suma Sumarum: There will be no electrolysis, but the process can be described as a kind of polarisation.
                          (But a current is “flowing” anyway.  It depends on the Definition!)

Good Luck!
                    ARGOS++

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 12:18:06 PM »
Be advised, in CVS, cyclic voltage stripping, a reciprocating, but not quite alternating voltage is used, for a variety of purposes, not the least of which to determine plating bath quality.  Look it up, it's a pretty fascinating topic, with a variety of other applications, for example, isolated muscle cell physiology.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Sponsored Links