April 23, 2024, 04:54:25 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: miller indices... selecting the proper "new origin" from which to calculate?  (Read 11211 times)

Offline jonogt

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
I'm going through some of these from an old homework assignment (i'm in a structural materials class) and I have no problem with how to solve and get your miller index with reciprocals and simplifying fractions etc., but I don't know how they are initially deciding which corner of the cube to use for the origin.  I've looked at a lot of different criteria, as well as tons of websites, and it seems flat out random to me. even online I can't find any info at all about how they decide, and it affects the +/- of the answer, so it's a bit of a problem...

any ideas?

thanks
-Jon

Offline eugenedakin

• Oilfield Consulting Chemist
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +88/-2
  • My desk agrees with the law of entropy
    • Personal Website
Hi jonogt,

Here is some more information which may help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miller_index

Sincerely,

Eugene
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those that do not.

Offline jonogt

I did find that article earlier... it talks quite a lot about the concept, but nowhere does it give reasoned out examples or anything about how to actually select your origin point. 

Offline eugenedakin

• Oilfield Consulting Chemist
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +88/-2
  • My desk agrees with the law of entropy
    • Personal Website
Hi jonogt,

Yes, your right. Most of the examples are symmetrical, and it does not matter which point they start with.  Do you have a specific example that could be loaded on the site so that I could see it?

Thanks for your help,

Eugene
There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand binary, and those that do not.

Offline AWK

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +555/-93
but I don't know how they are initially deciding which corner of the cube to use for the origin.
In the case of cube you can take any corner as origin
AWK

Offline me_mskhan

• Very New Member
In progression of this topic I would like to know if in cubic crystal structure planes with miller indices (-102) and (10-2) are parallel planes?
Moreover, does Miller index for a given plane in a given system can be changed with changing origin?

Sponsored Links