April 18, 2024, 08:01:56 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: acid-base titrations  (Read 3901 times)

Offline Spoon-

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
acid-base titrations
« on: April 07, 2008, 10:32:35 AM »
HEY, i'm trying to find the theoretical equlibrium for our titration. we have done 2 titrations using formic acid and sodium hydroxide (CHOOH vs. NaOH), and hydrochloric acid and sodium hydroxide (HCL vs. NaOH). I have a pH vs. Volume graph for both. i'm trying to find the theoretical equivalence point, at the moment i'm stuck at trying to find the theoretical equilibrium. can someone please expline how i might find this value? ???

thank you

Offline Structuralist

• Mole Snacks: +6/-0
Re: acid-base titrations
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 02:17:52 PM »
I think that for these kind of problems Borek is the man but I will try to explain.

The equivalence point is presented when the quantities of the reactants are in stoichiometric equivalence in your situation when 1n(HCl)=1n(NaOH) and 1n(CH3COOH)=1n(NaOH), the coefficients (1 everywhere here) are the same with the coefficients for balanced equation. 
To determinate the first EP experimentally you have to use neutral indicator (btb) and for the the second one weak acidic like m.o or m.r

I hope that I helped you....

(I am not an analytical chemist so forgive me if I'm wrong)

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1800/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 02:36:33 PM »
When titrating strong with strong end point is 7, otherwise whatever is in excess is responsible for pH. In the case of strong/weak titration end point pH is forced by hydrolysis.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline g-bones

• Chemist
  • Mole Snacks: +22/-7
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 04:55:23 PM »
the guy above me is correct, strong and strong the equivalence point is pH seven.    graph of your weak and acid and strong base should look similar ("s" shaped), the steepest point in the rising graph is your equivalence point

Offline godwin

• Very New Member
  • Mole Snacks: +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 05:28:03 PM »
show me titration table

Sponsored Links