April 19, 2024, 06:37:00 AM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Coating  (Read 7268 times)

Michael

Coating
« on: March 24, 2005, 09:50:23 AM »
When considering that graphite conducts electricity and leather does not, is there a "chemical method" for coating a leather artical with gold.

???

All that comes to mind when i think about coating is elctroplating but here go the problem that leather does not conduct electricity.

Thanks in advance for any help.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2005, 05:31:57 AM by Michael »

Michael

Re:Coating
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2005, 03:32:46 AM »
I've done some work on this and came up with the following....tell me if it is feasible:

First the leather article is:

1) Cleaned throughly and placed in a basin
2) Some silver nitrate and sodium hydroxide are poured into a beaker ( a grey ppt is          
    formed)
3) Ammonia solution is added to the beaker until the ppt dissolves and a clear solution
    is obtained
4) The clear solution is then poured into the basin with the leather article followed by
    warm glucose so that the article is covered.
5) It is left to stand for 20 mins.
6) The article is then washed with tap water. ( it is now coated with silver)
7) The article is now electroplated using Na3Au(SO3)2 Sodium gold sulphite.

A gold layer should now be on the leather article rite?

Well the first part is the same method they use for coating glass a non conductor with silver. I guess it will work here too.

Now i'm not sure about the electroplating part.
Na3Au(SO3)2 is this useable for the electrolyte a friend told me i could use this but..

What equations and reactions are occuring at the cathode and anode and i assume a graphite anode would be used?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2005, 03:39:01 AM by Michael »

Offline Donaldson Tan

• Editor, New Asia Republic
  • Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +261/-13
    • New Asia Republic
Re:Coating
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2005, 06:32:10 PM »
by depositing silver on the belt, you enable its surface to conduct electricity. it facilitates your belt to act as an electrode when deposition of the metal of interest occur. However, the object to be electroplated is the cathode where cation from the electrolyte discharges. the gold atom is constituent of the anion in your electrolyte,
"Say you're in a [chemical] plant and there's a snake on the floor. What are you going to do? Call a consultant? Get a meeting together to talk about which color is the snake? Employees should do one thing: walk over there and you step on the friggin� snake." - Jean-Pierre Garnier, CEO of Glaxosmithkline, June 2006

Sponsored Links