April 25, 2024, 07:30:10 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Rate Law Expression Probs?  (Read 4867 times)

Offline dagitt

• Mole Snacks: +0/-1
Rate Law Expression Probs?
« on: April 06, 2008, 07:37:07 PM »
1. Assume that NO(g) and Hsub2(g) react according to the rate expression: rate = k[NO]^2[Hsub2]. How does the rate change if the volume of the enclosing vessel is suddently halved?

2. It has been determined that the reaction in the following data is also first order with respect to the acid catalyst. Propose a mechanism for the slow step consistent with the data:

Initial Concentration.
[CHsub3COCHsub3]
.00M
.0500M
.0500M

[Isub2]
.100M
.100M
.500M

Initial Rate.
1.16 * 10^-7
5.79 * 10^-8
5.78 * 10^-8

Any help would be great, I've been extremely confused with rate law expressions this whole unit. Thanks in advance.

Offline Astrokel

• Mole Snacks: +65/-10
Re: Rate Law Expression Probs?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 08:34:46 AM »
1. Assume that NO(g) and Hsub2(g) react according to the rate expression: rate = k[NO]^2[Hsub2]. How does the rate change if the volume of the enclosing vessel is suddently halved?

If the volume of enclosing vessel is reduced, there will be greater molecules per unit volume, thus higher frequency of effective collision, leading to greater rate of reaction.

2. It has been determined that the reaction in the following data is also first order with respect to the acid catalyst. Propose a mechanism for the slow step consistent with the data:

Initial Concentration.
[CHsub3COCHsub3]
.00M
.0500M
.0500M

[Isub2]
.100M
.100M
.500M

Initial Rate.
1.16 * 10^-7
5.79 * 10^-8
5.78 * 10^-8

Any help would be great, I've been extremely confused with rate law expressions this whole unit. Thanks in advance.

Lets say u find out that r = k[A]^2 [ B]

In the slow step, the order of reactants is the stoichiometric coefficient of reactants. (You can use this to check for consistency of proposed mechanism with the rate law)

So you would expect 2 moles of A to reacts with 1 mole of B in the slow step.

Kelvin  :)
No matters what results are waiting for us, it's nothing but the DESTINY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Astrokel

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008, 08:36:32 AM »

*How do i delete a post?
No matters what results are waiting for us, it's nothing but the DESTINY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline sjb

• Global Moderator
  • Mole Snacks: +222/-42
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 01:43:09 PM »

*How do i delete a post?

Why would you want to? Others have spent time trying to help answer questions, why not preserve that record to try to avoid the same vicious circle of question - counterquestion appearing again next week?

Offline Astrokel

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 06:58:55 PM »

*How do i delete a post?

Why would you want to? Others have spent time trying to help answer questions, why not preserve that record to try to avoid the same vicious circle of question - counterquestion appearing again next week?

No, i wanted delete my 2nd post, accidentally posted it.

My bad for not stating clear,

Kelvin  :)

Sponsored Links