April 25, 2024, 09:37:21 PM
Forum Rules: Read This Before Posting

Topic: Sodium Chlorite and Hydrochloric Acid  (Read 23550 times)

Offline Neiby

• Mole Snacks: +0/-0
Sodium Chlorite and Hydrochloric Acid
« on: April 11, 2008, 02:17:10 PM »
It's been twenty years since I did any chemistry and I can't remember even most of the basic stuff. I'm reading about a health product that has a lot of sodium chlorite in it. I'm curious about what, if any, reaction will occur when that hits stomach acid. Would there be a reaction between NaClO2 and HCl? If so, what would be the result?

Many thanks,
John

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
Re: Sodium Chlorite and Hydrochloric Acid
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 02:33:33 PM »
Since they're both soluble, you can assume all ions exist in solution.  FWIW, I'd never eat chlorite, but I do love my bacon, and other nitrite cured meats.  The key is moderation.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Neiby

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 02:43:31 PM »
Forgive me. I've forgotten nearly all of the chemistry I knew many years ago. Are you saying that there wouldn't be a reaction, per se, that would result in different compounds? for example, could you end up with something like NaCl, ClO2 and H left over, or something like that? Or even ClO2 and NaHCl?

Offline zabavadad

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 05:30:42 PM »
Hi,
I am not a chemistry guru but I am familiar with the product you refer to.  Prior to ingestion the Sodium Chlorite is acidified with citric acid.  This changes it as I understand such that you do not get the release of chlorine gas you would get if you simply poured Hydrochloric Acid into Sodium Chlorite.  Anyway whatever it is it works wonders if taken properly. I have a personal friend (who by the way is a toxicologist, pathologist, and taught at both Auburn and Purdue) who HAD liver cancer and much to the amazement of his radiologist and Oncologist is totally cured after 7 or 8 months.  No detectable cancer left in his body. NO chemotherapy, no radiation just acidified sodium chlorite and vitamins and minerals.

Offline Neiby

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 06:33:36 PM »
I'm sure we are talking about the same thing. I'm interested to know more about the details of how it functions. I'd specifically like to know how you start out with sodium chlorite, mix in a little citric acid, and then ingest it, which would mix it with hydrochloric acid, and then ultimately end up with chlorine dioxide.

I've read a lot of mainstream research about the antifungal, antiviral and antibiotic properties of chlorine dioxide when used externally. I've also found a mainstream study where it was given internally to test subjects to determine its safety. They found that it was not harmful at the dosage levels used in the study. So, I'm interested in finding out the steps you take to get from sodium chlorite to chlorine dioxide. And, if you end up with chlorine dioxide, what are the remaining compounds after that reaction?

Offline zabavadad

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 08:05:22 PM »
To start with, you can literally buy the Sodium Chlorite flakes and mix up the solution yourself..but its much easier to buy an already prepared 26% solution of Sodium Chlorite.  Just do a "Google" of  "MMS Jim Humble" and you will find information about where to get it and at the same time read how it came to be used internally.  Basicly the maximum dosage is three times daily, 15 drops of  the 26% solution mixed with 5 times that amount of 10% solution of citric acid, wait 5 minutes for the reaction to complete, add water, hold your nose and drink.  It is NOT a pleasant tasting concoction.  For the next couple of hours it releases into the bloodstream and gives the immune system a super boost.  The exact chemistry of how it does it I am not sure but you can read about it on any of several websites.  Seems to be a "too good to be true" that in this case really works.

Offline macman104

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +168/-26
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 07:00:13 AM »
Interesting that Zabavada posted about the solution not 2 days ago...

Offline zabavadad

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 03:50:09 PM »
I was surprised to see a post about Sodium Chlorite soon after I asked my question about Sodium Hypochlorite.  I am still interested in finding out why the different results when the two chemicals are mixed with citric acid.  The NaCl02 shows no "bubbling" but the solution does turn "pee" yellow in about 5 minutes. The NaOCl "bubbles" but stays clear.  I still would like to figure out how to determine the chemical formula of the clear fluid that results from the NaOCl reaction. I just don't have the training to figure it out. I suspect that a lot of O molecules remain and obviously not all the Cl gasses off but that is as far as I can get.

Offline Neiby

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2008, 08:03:11 PM »
Interesting that Zabavada posted about the solution not 2 days ago...

That is a pretty weird coincidence. I've heard lots of anecdotal stuff about this, but I'm trying to understand the chemistry involved. I did a Google search for chemistry forum and this one was close to the top of the list, for obvious reasons.

This stuff appears to be safe, but I'm not entirely convinced. There is a LOT of anecdotal evidence that it is highly beneficial, but how many times have we heard that? I've heard so many "cure all" stories that I immediately discount them until I can get a bit more proof.

I'm fairly convinced that it isn't dangerous at these dosage levels, so I'm going to give it a try, but I'd still like to hear about the chemistry behind it, specifically what happens to the sodium chlorite after you mix in some citric acid and then mix all of that in water, drink it, and mix it with the hydrochloric acid in the stomach.

There is some other information that I'm trying to verify, but I'll need to direct those questions to someone more familiar with the types of bacteria commonly found in humans. I'm not convinced that the claimed method of operation of this stuff is actually true scientifically, so I'd like to ask someone about it.

Offline Arkcon

• Retired Staff
  • Mole Snacks: +533/-147
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2008, 08:10:48 PM »
but I'd still like to hear about the chemistry behind it,

Sorry, but we all left science far behind in this thread.
Hey, I'm not judging.  I just like to shoot straight.  I'm a man of science.

Offline Neiby

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2008, 08:13:58 PM »
but I'd still like to hear about the chemistry behind it,

Sorry, but we all left science far behind in this thread.

Perhaps you have, but I haven't. It's entirely likely this stuff is snake oil. I didn't come here to discuss the product I'm interested in. That's why I phrased my original question the way I did. I wanted to learn about the chemistry involved without this devolving into some other type of discussion.

I thought it was a *relatively* simple question that I probably could have answered myself if I had remembered enough of high school chemistry. It seems like it would be a fairly simple chemical reaction to follow, but I just don't remember enough about it. I admit that. That's why I came here. The rest of this discussion isn't relevant to that question.

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2008, 04:52:09 AM »
After some googling it looks like the chemistry is not simple, and most likely decoposition doesn't give one simple product, but some mixture of chlorine and chlorine dioxide. For example

8HClO2 -> 6ClO2 + Cl2 + 4H2O

but don't treat this reaction as a real chemistry behind, it just happens to be balanced and contain all likely reagents and products.
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Offline Neiby

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2008, 11:21:40 AM »
That's exactly the sort of thing I was looking for. Thank you for your reply!

Offline Neiby

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2008, 01:14:56 PM »
One follow-up question. Any idea what happens to the sodium?

Many thanks,
John

Offline Borek

• Mr. pH
  • Administrator
  • Deity Member
  • Mole Snacks: +1801/-410
  • I am known to be occasionally wrong.
    • Chembuddy
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2008, 01:28:24 PM »
Nothing. Was Na+, is Na+. That's the only thing I am sure about :)
ChemBuddy chemical calculators - stoichiometry, pH, concentration, buffer preparation, titrations.info

Sponsored Links